AV Amp with muliple HDMI & Optical inputs?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bob Warriner, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Bob Warriner

Bob Warriner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys, just about to jump in and get an HD DVD player, I just wondered if anyone makes an AV amp with multiple HDMI & matching optical inputs, with an HDMI and optical output to my Pioneer plasma media receiver, auto switching or remote control?
    I have several devices that have HDMI and optical output sockets and now I'm thinking of getting another, my old AV amp has only two optical input and all the rest of the connections are phono inputs and S-VHS (Yamaha RX-V595aRDS).
    Although a very good AV amp, it's really not up to modern HD standards.
    Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Rgds Bob.
    Humax HDCI-2000, Humax HDCI-2000T, Humax 9200T, Pioneer PDP-434HE (with media box).

2. jendo

jendo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Sorry i can't help with your question but i have that same amp and would love to hear your thoughts on how it compares to modern amps if you do upgrade.
    As you said cracking amp for the price ( think i paid £240 about 8 years ago) but now starting to show its age.

3. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    plenty amps on the market have multiple optical and hdmi inputs, the onkyo range of amps are pretty good they start from the onkyo 605 which has 2 HDMI and 3optical in and costs around £400 upto the 905 which as 4 hdmi in and 4 optical in and costs £1400.

If you are looking for a cheapish amp i can recommend the sony 910 amp which is under £300 and has 3 hdmi in and 3 optical in and is very good. I have one and i love it. This amp is more suited to home cinema, i find it ok for music but i got it mainly for home cinema.

4. Bob Warriner

Bob Warriner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Chic, does your Sony 910 also have the necessary HDMI and optical out sockets, and do the inputs auto-switch or do you have to use the remote control?
    On the other hand, if I decided to keep my Yamaha, is there such a thing as a stand alone HDMI/Optical switcher, say 3 inputs of each...linked, and 1 output to the amp...1 x HDMI & 1 x Optical
    Rgds Bob.

5. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871

they dont auto switch you have to use the remote, as regard to inputs the sony has 3 hdmi in marked as sat,video2,and dvd, 2 optical inputs are marked sat and video 2, so for these sources its just a case of connecting one source into say the sat hdmi and also connecting that source into the sat optical in, you then tell the sony to get audio from the optical and it should work. Now the other optical input is marked video1, and this is tied to the component input video 1, so if you want to use this optical input you have to connect into the component video1 input. The other hdmi input is marked dvd, and the only digital input that ties up with this is the digital coax in, so if you want to use this hdmi dvd input you must connect your source by digital coax and not optical. Most dvd players have both digital outs, if yours only has optical you can buy a optical to digital coax convertor for under £20 so you could use this input to tie in with the hdmi input.

6. Bob Warriner

Bob Warriner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chic, I think I have just found what I need.
    http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI switch 4port_toslink.htm

This way I can hold on to my Yamaha amp, just need to find a UK supplier now:rolleyes:
    You've been a great help and given me fresh ideas about sorting out my problem:thumbsup:
    Bob.