Question AV amp - What to buy

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by LuvCVs, Aug 23, 2018.

1. LuvCVs

LuvCVs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I've just bought a home speaker cinema setup,

Yamaha NS-300 (front)
    Yamaha NS-200 (rear)
    Yamaha NS-c200 (centre)
    Yamaha YST-SW800
    (getting a old M&K MX5000 sub soon)

Got a second NS-c200 and a set of NS-100's.

Thing is, I only use a old Sony STR-DB940 and I want to fully use these speakers potential of 400w max for the fronts, 300w max input rears, same as the centre, I'm a big fan of older equipment back as far as 2000.

Question is, is there a AV amp that has at least a 250w RMS output? Not including Onkyo's as they always boost the peak music power output.

I was going to go down the road of a Parasound HCA-2205a with a Parasound Halo C1/C2 but no-one has them for sale. All other power-pre amps are to expensive as I only have around £400 left.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,154
    Hello.

Looks like your AVR is a 5.1 AVR with pre-outs for 5.2 speakers.

I'm a bit confused about which speakers you have, you seem to have 8.2? Or have you not decided which speakers you will use in what configuration yet? Are we to assume you will be running them in a 5.1 or 5.2 set-up?

Looking at the Yamaha NS-300 speaker, although it is stated to handle power up to 400 watts, it is a 6 ohm speaker with a 91db sensitivity. This means that at 1 metre away, it will produce 91db with 1 watt of power. If you are sitting 3 metres away, and want to produce, say 100db, which is as loud as I go in my room (and most often quite a bit less than that), that would take 71 watts.

So, what I am getting at, is that you my not need as much power as you think.

Having said that, more power is always better, for more headroom and cleaner audio at louder levels and during dynamic peaks in soundtracks.

£400 is not a lot of money for power amps, even used. But, if you hunt around you may find a 5 channel used on within that budget.

You could get 2 or 3 Behringer A500's, which are stereo power amps, rated at 150 watts x 2 into 6 ohms, and can be had new for £160.

3. LuvCVs

LuvCVs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi rambles, yes, I do have a Yamaha DSP-AX1 I used to use with all these speakers, but it broke and at least £275 for a repair, so I got that Sony for £20 until I decide what to get.

I heard some of the older Denon and Pioneer AV amps had a 170 odd watt output but not sure which models, I'll have to check.

I think what I may just have to do is be patient for the Parasound HCA-2205a to become available, used by someone... My old Yamaha is far better sounding to this Sony.

My living room is 25 feet x 19 feet...Even when I used my Yamaha it felt like it didn't quite fill the space up.

4. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    Not sure you would find a parasound amp for £400. The speaker are quite sensitive so I am not sure you need buckets of power.

The Denon AVR X2400 new can be had for around £300 or the X3400 around £500. They are last years models hence the great price, the new incoming models offer nothing new, so they are a great option.

These Denons sound pretty good too.