AV amp wanted that is controlled well on the remote!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Live_Steam_Mad, May 6, 2007.

1. Live_Steam_Mad

Live_Steam_Mad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I was wanting to buy an Amplifier with as large as possible variable audio delay (to fix lip sync) and thought about the Sony 1200ES but I was quickly put off by this deal breaker (for me at least) issue which is reported here ;-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3940188&postcount=243

> "...If i had ONE criticism of the 1200ES (and i assume it'll be the same for the 32/5200ESs too) it's that if you keep the volume button pressed like say for a couple of seconds, then the volume shifts very quickly.

> Let me give you an example, i'm listening to the radio late at night. I have the volume set at -68.5. It's not loud enough. I therefore keep the 'up' volume button pressed for a second or two, it'll start to rise...-68.0, -67.5, -67.0 and then SUDDENLY jumps to -51.5!!! LOUD!

> The only way to get around this is to keep pressing the volume button and then releasing it. Annoyingly, you have to wait about a second between each press otherwise it'll just jump like before if you're too quick with the key presses.

> I can see the advantages of this too and for most people this isn't a problem and they would probably prefer it like that. But for me, i wish that Sony had just left a normal volume control as opposed to a time/speed dependent control. Or at least given the option of changing the setting in the menu..."

I was wondering if there was an AV Amp. on the market on which the volume goes up nice and linearly (without sudden jumping) no matter what you do with the + and - volume buttons on the remote.

That would be more important to me at the moment than adjustable audio delay (lip sync fix) but of course the latter would be a nice addition as well.

Is there any Amp on the market that does this properly?

Cheers,

Alistair G.

2. Overlord69

Overlord69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
  3. Live_Steam_Mad

Live_Steam_Mad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK thought that I would update this thread to reflect that I went and got a demo of the Sony's controllability on the remote from the Sony Centre at the Trafford Centre, Manchester. In short I did not find any real problem with it. The remote control volume is time dependant, i.e. press the Vol + button every 0.75 seconds or so and it goes up in 0.5 dB stages, but press it faster than that and it goes up in 10 dB (approx.) stages, so you dab at it fairly fast or hold it down until the sound comes up until roughly the level you want and then press it slower and it goes up slowly again. Same happens with turning it down.

Bottom line : I am delighted with the Amp. I got the black one, paid 380 GBP :eek: but that's life! They only had 1 in stock and it had only just come in, at least that's what he said. Anyway I'm a happy bunny.

I only have 1 speaker in my bedroom (don't laugh :rolleyes: ), it's a speaker from my old Panasonic Midi system. I have heard my Panasonic Midi system through my current 'little' Panasonic speaker (Midi system is now long gone, was OK for when I was a teenager but not acceptable to me now but I kept one of the speakers), and I have also heard an old Eagle brand Amp. that my Uncle George gave me for free (was a terrible design, sound quality was so-so) and I have heard my current Sony STR-DA1200ES through it and I have to say that the Sony sounds nothing like the 2 previous products, it sounds
    instead meaty and taught and exciting and hyper-realistic.

Infact there have been several instances over the last few months when I have come into the room and thought that I could hear the neighbours through my bedroom window but no it was the amp. playing TV channel sounds through the speaker. It's just SO REAL the sound. WAY better than my 1980's Technics HiFi amp. Highly recommended.

Cheers,

Alistair G.