AV Amp Upgrade

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by barry75, Feb 19, 2013.

1. barry75

barry75
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All
    I would like do upgrade my Onkyo TXS 307 Amp as It dosent pass audio via hdmi. I have recently purchased a Benq W1070 projector so I would like the amp to be 3D ready as well.The Amp will be used with JBL ES90 floor standing speakers, and surrounds are WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9, planning on upgrading these in the furture.(5.1 at the moment looking at 7.1 down the road)
    The Amp will be used for movies mostly(PS3 blu rays, Home PC ,Xbox,Benq w1070)also some listening to music internet radio stations,music from pc or NAS.
    Budget will be around 400 euro's I can find a extra few quid if it's needed for the right Amp

So what would anyone recommend

Thanks in advance Barry:)

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,228
    Will dual HDMI output be of any use to you? This would allow you to have output to both you PJ and a TV at the same time without the need for an external splitter or having to swop HDMI leads manually. If this would be useful then I'd suggest the Denon AVR2313 or a Yamaha RXA810 if you can still get hold of one. The Denon will cost you about £430 while the Yamaha will set you back about £450:

Denon AVR-2313

Yamaha RX-A810 Black AV Receiver. 3D Ready, 1080p Upscaling, USB Connection. | eBay

The Yamaha is actually now discontinued, but half the price of the model that replaced it. The RXA810 lacks the 4K video capabilities of the RXA820 that replaced it as well as not having Airplay. The Denon has both Airplay and 4K video capabilities.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  3. barry75

barry75
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never thought of dual HDMI out,but at the moment I wont need it as the setup is used with projector only in a converted garage,no tv out there,but going to get a sky multiroom there.Would like to make the most of the JBL ES90 speakers a amp with enough to power them.
    Power Handling (Recommended) 110W
    http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/products/ES90/ES90_JBL_US

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,228
    I'm not sure where you've got the 110 wats from, but you can power them with any AV receiver as long as that receiver can output at least 30 watts of power. Even the entry level budget amps have the ability to output 70 watts or more given an 8ohm load. The speakers are relatively sensitive and I'd not worry too much about the power needed to drive them. They'll easily achieve reference levels within an average sized room without having to output 110 watts to them.

If dual HDMI isn't an issue then I'd still suggest you consider either the Denon AVR2313 or the Yamaha RXA810. Both are good amps even without their dual HDMI outputs. If wanting to save a bit more cash by forgoing the dual HDMI output altogether then maybe look at the Denon AVR2113 or the Yamaha RXV673. There's also the Marantz SR5007 but I'd suggest the equivalent Denon models as being better value for money when compared to Marantz AV receivers.

5. barry75

barry75
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dante for your reply
    I am gearing towards the Yamaha RVX673. It seems to get good reviews and has all the bells and whistles.Would it be much of a improvement over the Onkyo 307?

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,228
    It is only my opinion, but you should be able to detect a noticeable improvement over the 307.