AV Amp upgrade. Denon or NAD?

Crownshi

I currently have a Denon X2400 and thinking I need to upgrade so I can take advantage of the better audio via earc that the X2400 doesn't support. I now have an LG C9 TV that I stream Netflix/Prime/Disney+ through. I also now have Focal Chora 826-d's and centre speakers that I hope will benefit from an upgrade.
I like the Denon amp and think maybe an upgrade to the X3700 is what I need but all the reviews of the NAD T778 tempt me to think that is the way to go.
So do I get the Denon or is the NAD worth the extra £1500 which is a massive price difference? I do use the same amp for music, streaming and vinyl.

xSLYx

I currently have a Denon X2400 and thinking I need to upgrade so I can take advantage of the better audio via earc that the X2400 doesn't support. I now have an LG C9 TV that I stream Netflix/Prime/Disney+ through. I also now have Focal Chora 826-d's and centre speakers that I hope will benefit from an upgrade.
I like the Denon amp and think maybe an upgrade to the X3700 is what I need but all the reviews of the NAD T778 tempt me to think that is the way to go.
So do I get the Denon or is the NAD worth the extra £1500 which is a massive price difference? I do use the same amp for music, streaming and vinyl.
At around that price you could take the anthem 740 into consideration as well.
Choosing myself between 778/anthem740 and also wouldn't mind seeing how the new Yamaha aventages with improved eq turns out.

gibbsy

NAD for a one box solution with music. Your other option, which would be better than the NAD for music, is the X3700 and a stereo amp with HT by-pass for music. That's providing you are able to put all your music sources direct into the stereo amp. That's the set up I use with my Denon X6500 and Rega stereo amp.

ashenfie

Remember that NAD will give you Dirac and that makes it stand out among the options listed. Anthem eq is not far behind and is simpler to setup.

Crownshi

NAD for a one box solution with music. Your other option, which would be better than the NAD for music, is the X3700 and a stereo amp with HT by-pass for music. That's providing you are able to put all your music sources direct into the stereo amp. That's the set up I use with my Denon X6500 and Rega stereo amp.
I am looking for a one box solution. Both the Denon and NAD have a built in phono stage. Both can stream Amazon HD, Tidal etc.
I think if I was considering an X6700, the latest version of your 6500, the NAD would be my choice as cost difference isn't an issue then

gibbsy

I don't rate my X6500 for stereo music, hence the use of a Rega Elicit-R. It's great for film, TV and multi channel audio from SACD, DVD-A or blu ray but stereo is flat, unexciting and lacking in a good bass response (with no sub). The Marantz would be a better pick but NAD, Anthem and Arcam would be a proposition than the D&M models. Only problem with Arcam is the number of available channels if you wish to run above 7.1.

Crownshi

I don't rate my X6500 for stereo music, hence the use of a Rega Elicit-R. It's great for film, TV and multi channel audio from SACD, DVD-A or blu ray but stereo is flat, unexciting and lacking in a good bass response (with no sub). The Marantz would be a better pick but NAD, Anthem and Arcam would be a proposition than the D&M models. Only problem with Arcam is the number of available channels if you wish to run above 7.1.
I do have a good sub, well I like it, the rel 1205. It does seem the NAD is likely to be the better proposition.

alebonau

I currently have a Denon X2400 and thinking I need to upgrade so I can take advantage of the better audio via earc that the X2400 doesn't support.
simple answer earc sharc...

$149 usd and can e swiftly shipped to your door i found... i know quite a few folk using seamlessly...

keep going with what have and just add this... will turn any input on your denon to earc...

I also now have Focal Chora 826-d's and centre speakers that I hope will benefit from an upgrade.
look to marantz if can ... the 8012 is an astounding bargain here at present ! we also have denon 8500 flagship going for $4500 ! thats $1700 off ! huge bargain... due to end of financial year here... maybe you have same... will find the denon and marantz options as go up the ranks everything gets better processing, pre stage, analog stage, dacs... power supplies.... the maranta has a more music focus with their "music matters" approach

NAD T778 tempt me to think that is the way to go.
be careful re nad...look at their top dog AVR and see how many unresolved issues its having. arcam seems the same and anthem is simply a bug fest ! - check the avs owners thread and will get an appreciation...

Zarf2007

For that price range the Arcam AVR10 would be be good for both music and movies, some discounted on eBay at the moment

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom