1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Amp up to £500.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by G8PCW, Jan 14, 2004.

1. G8PCW

G8PCW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

I'm in the market for a replacement for my old Yamaha DSPA592 AV Amp which has, sadly, bitten the dust after many years of sterling service. Anyway, having not kept abreast of new developments or read too many AV mags in recent years, I'm a bit ouf of touch (to say the least!). Obviously, I'll want to audition the kit before I make my final decision, but a short list of 5.1/DD receivers would help enormously. If it helps, I have Mission floorstanding front speakers (sorry - I cannot remember the model number but they're about 7 years old), a Wharfedale centre speaker, REL Q50 sub and Eltax Bipolar rears. I have a Pansasonic DVDA360 DVD player at present but this will make way for something a little more modern at the same time.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Pete

2. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Take a quick look here for a few examples of what you can get for your money. I have posted this link as an example only as you may be able to get some of these amps/receivers cheaper elswhere. To help narrow down your choice, have a look at the following;

Denon AVR-1804
    Marantz SR5400
    Onkyo TX-SR601
    Pioneer VXS-D812 or D912 [includes auto MCACC set up]
    Yamaha DSP-AX640SE or 640RDS [includes a radio tuner]

Any of the above should serve you well and leave enough left over of your £500 to buy a decent DVD player.

There's a good review here [PDF file] for the Marantz 5400, Pioneer 912 and the Yamaha 640.

3. G8PCW

G8PCW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your assistance - much appreciated.

Pete

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Also look at harman Kardon AVR507 a very well specced amp at a very reasonable price.

5. G8PCW

G8PCW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ended up with a Denon 2803 and a Pioneer DVD-565 which I'm delighted with. Thanks for your advice guys.

Regards,

Pete