1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV amp under £500 - Help please!!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mivvi, Jun 2, 2003.

1. mivvi

mivvi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Am just about to update my system and could really do with some help! Currenty using a Sony 42" Plasma with a progressive scan DVD player. So just need to sort the sound side of things. I plan to purchase a set of Bose Lifestyle speakers but can't stretch to their amp/dvd system, so it's just the speakers. So what amp could I use to power these speakers, would ideally like a receiver on it and be able to adjust the sound delay to avoid sound sync problems. I am willing to try amps going from £200 up to £500. Any help would be great, at present I am at a total loss due to the variety available.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Onkyo make a few nice AV amps around £500. Not sure on the model no's, but 5xx range and possibly 6xx range. Not sure if these have AV sync delay (Denon 3803 does have this feature though)

Bose- oh dear :( You can buy better sounding, better quality speakers at one quarter of Bose prices! If you really want small speakers, try the new Kef Eggs, or Ruark Vita speaker systems, £600 & £800 respectively.

Oh read this informal report on Bose speakers. I think it might change your mind!!

http://www.intellexual.net/boseframes.html

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Would second Nathan comments ... you'll probably get better end results spending a little more on a Denon 3803 (to get the global delay) and then get KEF Eggs, B&W VM1/AS1, Ruark Vita or similar for less money that the Bose.

You'll find lots of very negative comments about Bose speakers ... and while (IMO) they aren't as bad as everyone makes out in themselves, there is a lot more out there for less that are as good or better. When Bose started there product was unique (IIRC) but these days there's lots of competing products and Bose are still trading on previous reputation to many people who don't realise what else is avaliable to them now.

Vikki

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30