AV Amp to power B&W 600 Series 3

AdrianH

Standard Member
Hi all,

Looking for an AV amp to integrate into my system which currently comprises:

Sony STRDB 930 (which I'm looking to replace for something at bit more up to date)
Sony Bravia 40" V Series LCD TV
Sony DVP S336 DVD Player (hanging on to this until Blu Ray/Hd DVD is established)
Marantz CD17 Mk3
Rotel RC03
Rotel RB971 Mk2 (x3 - all monoblocked)
B&W 603 S3s Fronts
B&W LCR600 S3 Centre
B&W ASW675 Sub
Kef Q85.2 Rears

I currently have the Pre-Outs on the front 2 channels of the 930 going into the Aux input on the RC03 and the Centre Pre-out going into one of the RB971's (monoblocked) feeding the LCR600 S3. The RC03 is then using the other two 971's (again monoblocked) to run the 603 S3's as the RC03 is far more 'musical' than the 930 with the CD17 feeding it.

I auditioned the Denon 2807 this afternoon and was quite impressed with it but was wondering if this will 'balance' up using the above RC03/monoblocked 971 combo and doing away with the third RB971 and letting the Denon provide the power for the Centre.

I was also going to audition the new Pioneer 2016 but the Gentleman in the shop (Forum HiFi in Nottingham) did not rate the Pioneer at the same price (£650).

Can anyone answer my query on the 'balance issue' and maybe recommend any other alternatives.

Cheers :thumbsup:

joffy1780

If your budget is £650 you could find some great amps second hand.

Could you answer a question I have about your setup,please?
You say you have the front pre-outs of you your receiver going to the Aux input of your RC-O3.Does this have a fixed level or does the volume knob have to be kept at the same point all the time?

joffy1780

A few of the big Denons AVC A11sr and AVC10ES etc are going for about £500-550.

AdrianH

Standard Member
Hi Guys,

Thanks for getting back so quick..

Regarding your query Joffy on the output level - I have this set at 11 O'clock on the RC03 which keeps everything in balance.

As regards Jamie's question on the HDMI - I had been wanting a 2 into 1 as my Bravia only has the one HDMI input and as I'm trying to talk the wife into SkyHD at the moment I was trying to 'future-proof' by looking at an Amp with this facility (hence why I was looking to buy new as most of the Amps with this are fairly recent).

Cheers:smashin:

joffy1780

AdrianH said:
Regarding your query Joffy on the output level - I have this set at 11 O'clock on the RC03 which keeps everything in balance.
Cheers mate :thumbsup: .

Helicon

Banned
I can't think of an AV amp under a grand that will compete with the quality and power/current delivery of an RB-971.

joffy1780

Helicon said:
I can't think of an AV amp under a grand that will compete with the quality and power/current delivery of an RB-971.
WOW.Now that is very interesting.I've been keeping my eye on various Rotel (and other) power amps lately,basically I've been thinking of adding 2 970BXs or 971s,or if I'm lucky something higher up the chain,to my Pioneer 1015 to drive my B&W 602s.
I'd been thinking of 2 970s or RB-03s to bi-amp my fronts,but had wondered whether this would be worthwhile.Basically I would like an improvement primarily in 2 channel performance,but had wondered whether this was possible with just the addition of power amps or whether a pre-amp would be necessary?
This upgrade might be a way off,but I'll have a choice between a power amp upgrade for the fronts or an upgrade of my side rears rears from Gale 3060 bi-polars to B&W 601s.
Which,if you had the choice,would be first on your list?

EDIT: Sorry for the thread jack.:blush:

AdrianH

Standard Member
Hi Joffey,

I can recommend the Power Amp route as this gives a much more detailed/effortless performance, I couldn't believe the difference when I first hooked this configuration up (even the kids noticed!). Personally I'd stick with your Gales for the time being and sort out the Fronts :)

I have hopefully solved my problem by acquiring a Rotel RSP 1066 Processor off e-bay yesterday, this will hopefully give me the upgrade I am looking for on the AV side and still keep the 'musicality' that I currently have with the RC03 (soon to be for sale!). With the money I have saved I will probably get hold of another RB971 to power the Rear Surrounds which will leave the 3 971's in mono for the front 3.

I'll let you know how I get on and how it all sounds.

Cheers

joffy1780

AdrianH said:
Hi Joffey,

I can recommend the Power Amp route as this gives a much more detailed/effortless performance, I couldn't believe the difference when I first hooked this configuration up (even the kids noticed!). Personally I'd stick with your Gales for the time being and sort out the Fronts :)

I have hopefully solved my problem by acquiring a Rotel RSP 1066 Processor off e-bay yesterday, this will hopefully give me the upgrade I am looking for on the AV side and still keep the 'musicality' that I currently have with the RC03 (soon to be for sale!). With the money I have saved I will probably get hold of another RB971 to power the Rear Surrounds which will leave the 3 971's in mono for the front 3.

I'll let you know how I get on and how it all sounds.

Cheers
Nice one,hope it works out well.
Will keep my eye on power amp options then,cheers for the advice.

joffy1780

Are you selling your 971s and RC-O3 on e-bay at the minute?
If so how is the 1066/1075 combo working out and why the change of plan?