AV amp to go with PV500?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by duvl, Jun 28, 2005.

1. duvl

duvl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Please excuse my ignorance !! I am using a Pan 42PV500, Pan EH50, Sky +, and a Sony STR DB940 amp and 5.1 spkrs + a video etc. The problem is that every time I want to change source I have to select via the tv remote control the colored buttons and navigate to either AV1,2,3,4 or C/PC/HDMI. Am I correct in saying that an AV amp will solve this by auto displaying which ever device I start playing? If so any recommendations of which to choose or anything soon to be available? Many thanks.

2. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    This is one of my only gripes with the pv500. The AV buttons are not very clear. After a while you know whats what and how to get to the AV channel you want but it is not very wife friendly. I mean try explaining to her that if you have watched a dvd and it doesnt automatically switch back to Sky when you turn the dvd off, you have to press the red button <<<<< and then red again to go to AV1 (if you have connected it up that way).
    I know on the Hitachi 7200 that the AV buttons were clearly marked and separate. Wish Panasonic had thought of that.
    If a switcher will do the job I would also be interested to know, however scarts should in theory automatically switch to your desired channel if say you switch the power on to Sky, the scart should detect the power and switch to the Av channel for scart. Sometimes doesnt work if you are using cheap scarts tho.

3. StrongSilent

StrongSilent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Dodgydaz, I totally agree. Even I have to concentrate fully on what I want to watch and then walk through it in my mind a couple of times and decide which of my six remotes I need to achieve the task. Yes six :(

On my old Sony CRT I was able to program each AV device to a simple channel number. Channels 1-5 were regular analogue terrestrials, 6 was my freeview box, 7 Xbox and 8 digital satellite receiver.

I've tried to manually 'tune' my PV500 remote to do the same job eg. Channel 99 for Xbox etc. but no luck.

I'd love to hear if any of the brown-goods whizzkids know if this is possible.

Also what's a good all-in-one remote to use with most of the functionality of the PV500 and EH50 accessible.

4. the highlander

the highlander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    if you run your DVD through component you can also run sky as well , with a
    RGB to Component (YUV) Video Converter HERE when you have finished a DVD or are starting a DVD it will auto switch :smashin: and you will also benefit from a better PQ on sky :D

5. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In my experience you want to run SKY direct to AV1. If I run it through my ES10 DVD recorder the quality goes down to ordinary plasma levels... It may be that using an RGB>Component converter makes a marginal difference, but I'd have thought that running the DVD to component made more sense. The pic quality from SKY+ using RGB is fantastic anyway.