AV Amp to AV processor

Nick1881

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I currently have the Pioneer LX53 and I use an Arcam A38 to power the front L&R.

I'm about to add my Arcam P25.3 in to power the centre and rear channels. This is overkill but I have the amp spare.

Now I'm thinking would I be better off with a processor in place of the LX53, I won't be using it's amplifier at all now anyway.

There are a couple of Onkyo PR-SC886 in the classifieds, how would it compare to the LX53 or should I look for something else?

I have no interest in 3D despite having a 3D ready TV, I just want HDMI and DTS-MA/Dolby TrueHD and the best possible sound quality. I also already have a Antimode sorting my sub EQ.

Budget wise, I could probably spend up to £1000 after selling my LX53.

Any advice would be great. Thanks

Last edited:
I used to have a 53 with a roksan powering the fronts . Then changed to a arcam avr 400 and could not believe the difference

Thanks for the reply martin, could you explain in what ways it was better please?

I'm also thinking about moving to an Anthem MRX300.

I found the arcam not so brash and in your face as the pioneer and far more controlled at higher volumes . In a way it does not seem so loud if that makes any sense but I no it is . The way it spreads the sound and placement is great as well and also very good for music . Have never heared a mx300 but have only heared great thi gs about them

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom