1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Amp that doesn't sacrifice musical capability

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Baggimodo, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Baggimodo

Baggimodo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am over the moon with my Cambrdige Amp, but after experiencing my mates awesome DTS setup, I wanna get in on a piece of the action.

However, I haven't got the space to be running two seperate amps and sets of speakers in my student accomodation. :(

Could anyone reccommend a decent AV amp that would do the business with music?

budget wise- i cant afford to spend more than 175-200, but would be willing to save if there was a clear choice that would satisfy my needs that went a little over budget!

Thanks in advance-

Baggins

2. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The marantz amps are good for music and movies IMO.

I have had two in the past (Sr4200 and SR5300) and would say that for the price they cannot be beaten for music performance.

The current version SR4400 is around £250 or the older ones (SR4200/SR4300) can be found on the second hand market.

3. creed

creed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as people used to say, you can't get best of both world, i have a Marantz SR4300, and i would say in the receiver range, it does music quite well, but i do think its home theatre performance is slightly behind some other brands...

anyway, the SR4300 i am having seems to be quite soft on volume, and you need to crank the volume up high to achieve desirable volume, don't mistake that my speaker is hard to drive, i have a fairly easy to drive Mission M74 as front which is 91db sensitivity, i think others like NAD, Yummy, HK, Denon is better in home cinema use...

if u have some better budget, you can try NAD receiver, heard they do music quite well too, but they are more expensive then the Marantz

4. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18