Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

AV Amp/Receiver with S-video switching ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Montana, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,
    I am in the process of improving my sister-in-law's setup.I have been looking at receivers, and the lower end ones have composite video switching, but I am looking for a receiver or amp that will do s-video switching.
    The reasons for this are, keeping the PQ pretty good (hence not wanting composite), and minimising the remotes she has to use.
    The components that I want to conect up are Sky digital and a Cyberhome AD-L 528 DVD player.
    Th main problem that I have found is not finding one, but finding one that is relatively cheap, as the cheapest one I have found so far is 200 GB pounds.For a basic set-up, I think this kind of price is silly.It's not as though I am wanting anything brand new or with lots of stuff that she's not gonna use,just an amp that has DD , DTS, and s-video switching.
    I hope you guys can help me out, and if that is the price , why are they so much more expensive.
    Many Thanks

Andy

2. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    You should be able to pickup an end of line amp quite cheaply I would of thought or maybe something out of the classifieds on this site. I know all the old yamaha kit did s-video switching.

A quick scan shows the sony stre495 for £99 at richer, can't find out if it has s-video but i'd think a sony probably has(? anyone) - I know the 695 has.

good luck with your search, i'm sure you will find something.

3. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    At the top of your budget ... but good quality ... the Marantz SR4400 is advertised at £193 at Richer Sounds and will switch S-Video. Richer Sounds also have the Yamaha HTR5630 (the same as the 630 but in Silvery colour) at £120 which also switches S-Video - so that sounds ideal for your budget.

BTW ... most Sky boxes don't have S-Video outputs ... only the Sky + boxes and the newer Grundig ones IIRC.

Steff

PS ... just re-read your post and you say £200 is too much ... have you considered something second hand?

4. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I rushed over to the Yamaha website( cause I had already looked at the HTR5630) and thought that I had looked at the wrong model.Yet I was still disappointed as it wasn't me.
    So booktrunk, next time you suggest something please look at the specs properly.You were right in saying the Marantz has this facility but it's to expensive at nearly 200 GB pounds.

Andy

5. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depending on the TV, it may not be necessary to switch through the amp. The TV may switch itself to the input with a signal on it; just start playing a DVD and the input switches. Might even be able to use RGB this way. Or maybe the DVD player has a pass through SCART connection?