AV Amp/Receiver - confused!!

ellchester

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a JVC THS9 all in one system which I want to upgrade but I'm a bit confused. The DVD on the THS9 is also the AMP or so I understand, which outputs to the subwoofer. If I want to get seperates do I need an AMP/AV RECEIVER or what? I nknow I'll need new speakers and a subwoofer but could someone explain what the other pieces of kit actually do and what I'll need. Thanks

An AV Amp and an AV Receiver are the same with the exception that a Reciever had a radio (FM/DAB) build into the same unit.

HTH

John

Thanks

Hi Ellchester:hiya: ,
What's your budget and what features do you need. Also what would you be connecting it to etc?

Dan

gerrard14 said:
And if i'm in the market for an amp what should i look out for ?

We need more info.

What speakers do the amp have to run?

What other stuff do you have, or want to get.

What are you using it for, tv viewing or music?

There is so much choice out there that without knowing the above to narrow it down no one will be able to help you.

Budget for the Amp about £700 - looking at the Yamaha RX-v2600. Probably about £700 -£800 for speakers although I've been looking at the B&W MT30 (which I know are more). I'm not sure what to do about DVD - I know the Toshiba is HD, but as it's the first one out, not sure whether to wait for problems to be ironed out. I really want a good home cinema set up, mainly for movies. May have to up budget I suppose, and I going to use with my Pio 436XDE.

Ok, you're probably going to want to run everything through the amp, so you'd be wanting component-switching to handle component-video signals. You'd want component-switching that supports HD (Notice you have a 360.)

Also a good idea would be HDMI support too as looks like you're looking into HDDVD route etc. Perhaps at some point a PS3 might even be on the cards, so best to keep options open on that front.

Your stated budget should allow you some decent options within your price range.

How big is your room btw, and are you looking for 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 etc or not sure at this point?

Dan.

The room is 21.4" ' x 11.5". I would like 7.1 if possible. My wife thinks the JVC THS9 is a perfectly adequate system and can't understand why I want to spend more money!! I'm hoping that if I get the new kit, she'll notice a different and appreciate it. I would want HDMI/component switching and optical switching if possible. I was going to buy a seperate switcher for about £175 but I think I'll wait if the AV receiver will do that for me. Sorry I sound so thick but I'm fairly new to all this and trying to pick things up as I go along...

Rob

Take a look at this,

http://www.av-sales.co.uk/ONKYO-TX-SR674E-99-21.htm

I haven't heard it but it upscales everything to HDMI and looks to have an excellent spec for the money.

Then get the svs 5.1 system and 2 extra speakers with the power buy offer. Again I haven't heard them but they seem to have some excellent reviews and feedback.

This should do everything you need and still leave enough in the budget for cables and maybe a DVD player too.

I should be getting the svs system tomorrow along with an onkyo tx-sr604e:clap: so I'll let you know what I think when it's all set up.

Bear in mind though that the best thing to do is research it to death then go with what suits you best. With the budget you have, getting a cracking system should be a doddle.:smashin:

Daerve,

I'm interested to know how this combo works mate, please report back on this.

I'm on holiday tomorrow, but I'll read when I come back or maybe during my hols, we'll see.

Will do matey, can't wait.:clap:

Enjoy yer Hol.:hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom