AV amp question- newbie pls help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ewan, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I think that for £200 there is a lot of choice of amps and Sony arent necassarily the best also look at Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon (1603), Marantz, and others have a search and see what people have to say.
    Speaker link broken whats your budget and what style, Also what else is to be connected, Just DVD or do you have Sky, a VCR, PS2, Xbox, Freeview etc etc
    Also try and demo before you buy.

3. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Also consider Tannoy FX5.1 and Pioneer 301 and 501 amps, will it be used for music??? 301 and Tannoys seems to me like the bargain of the moment 301 @ £160 and tannoys @ under £200

5. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Ewan,

I'm with hornydragon here.

Your suggested set up won't have any problems with compatibility. But I reckon there are better set up for the money you are talking about.

At £160 to £200
    Pioneer VSX-C301 for £160 at RS is a tremendous price for a really nice and slim receiver, many owners here is well satisfied.

Yamaha HTR-5640 (clone of RX-V440) at £198 at RS is a true bargain, loads of features including 6x65w amp, quality and wonderful sound. Many happy owners here.

At £230 to £250

If you really want a Sony receiver then go for 790 which only cost £226 in silver incl delivery from http://www.prcdirect.co.uk/PRC/PRC.storefront- , www.empiredirect.co.uk and www.techtronics.com at £228 are out of stock atm. Compared with 695, 790 has beefier & solid design, better quality components as it is a QS range, more features including 6x100w amp, and it should sound much better than 695 as well. Got some favorable comments from owners here.

Denon avr-1604 at £230 delivered from http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/productdetails/index.asp?modelcode=DEN-AVR1604SILV&clear=
    should be a belter, probably not as powerful as Sony 790 but feature wise one step up and sound quality should be well up there looking at the Brands history.

My favourite in the £230 to £250 class, was Onkyo TX-SR501, but has suddenly gone up to £270. Well never mind.

For speakers, I actually reckon the Yamaha package NSP106 (6sats & 1 sub + with a one of the rec above exc 695 & 301 = ready for dts-es and dd-ex sound) for £126 delivered from http://www.hifistore.co.uk/product.php?qsProd=NSP106SIL is better than the Sony spkr package.

Or if you can stretch to £200, then as hornydragon, Tannoys FX5.1 are very very good indeed. And you get all the cables as well in the package.

Wasabi

7. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    Thanks for all the replies:p I'm going have a think again about what amp I'm going to buy.