AV amp power required when using a powered sub

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The power may not be needed as such but it is what the extra power implies that will be of benefit. This is because if it is more powerful it is likely to have a bigger power supply and more than likely higher quality components. The bigger power supply will mean it will have more in reserve so you will not have to strain the reciever hard which will give less distortion and hence better sound quality.

audio peasant

Standard Member
Thanks PSM1. I aske the question as i was thinking of getting an 'older model' of AV amp such as an Onkyo TX SR805 which weighs in at 23 Kg.
The newer ranges from all the leading manufacturers quote similar power outputs but typically weigh about 11 Kg unless you pay in excess of £900.
Any recommendations for an older RELIABLE good quality amp?
My speakers are AE Neo 3 fronts and centre with a pair of old Mission bipolar rears. I have ordered a BK XXLS400 sub and my room is 7 X 3.5 X 2.5M High. A PS3 is used for everything (which it does rather well!)

PSM1

Distinguished Member
What is your budget?
All the main makes are reasonablly reliable so I would not worry there. Since you have a PS3 you need a reciever that does audio over HDMI as a minimum to get the best from it. There is a thread at the top of the forum that gives a list of all older recievers that are able to do this so that would be a good place to start.
If music is important to you then look for Yamaha, Denon or Marantz recievers as these tend to be more musical than the likes of Onkyo (although the Sony ES range is supposed to be tuned for musical performance).

audio peasant

Standard Member
£350 max. I've seen a refurbished Onkyo 805 for that price so it should hopefully have all the latest irmware/software.
Re. sound quality, the above gets good reviews and there's the 'amplifier challenge' where no-one can seem to tell amp sound quality between budget and high end amps.
I have a Marantz SR5300 at the moment but want to upgrade to 7.1 surround and HD audio which as you rightly say needs an HDM1 in on the amp.
PSM1 could you please put a link to the older receiver HDM1 thread you mention
Thanks in advance

Trending threads

Top Bottom