AV amp - possible recommendations

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Spligsey, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hello all
    Looking to get myself an AV amp (used or new) - after being out of the game for a few years.
    Just wondering if there's some good recommendations for my situation
    It will be used as a pre-amp as i have 6 x pro active speakers, so power ratings are not a concern, so must have a pre-out section.
    Will be using 1 subwoofer for the foreseeable future.
    Sources will probably be Sky HD, PS3 slim, Sony Blu-ray & XBox 360 (probably not all at once though)
    Good scaling/Video processing would be nice, although not a major concern - i have a Fujitsu 50" 58 series plasma - which looks pretty cool, but always good to have options (never know what is going to happen in the future)
    Approx 4-5 HDMI inputs would be about right
    Would like an Ethernet port on the amp.
    Looks like most amps now come with some kind of room correction tools (never tried this), so a well regarded piece of software would be cool.
    It will be used mainly for films - with music slung through it at times as well.
    Budget would be around £400 - £500 (second hand/used is absolutely fine :) )
    Cheers for your help

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,409
    Your budget is not really enough to get a reciever with preouts as this feature now seems to be on only the high end models. I assume you want the receiver to do audio over HDMI and HD audio decoding. Is 1.4 HDMI important or not?
    Whats your current receiver?
    So since it looks like you need to go secondhand then just try to get the highest level of receiver possible for your budget from the known makes like Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz. Just take care on older models as some will have HDMI but these will only act as switches and will not be able to strip the audio from it. So check the specs closely. Any receiver that can decode the HD formats will be able to do audio over HDMI so if you see this feature then you will be fine.

3. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hello mate, thanks for your help
    1.4 HDMI isn't important - (can't see me ever going to 3D)
    I did suspect that i might have to go into the used market (for my budget) to get the pre-out connections i require, but that is cool.
    Thanks for the tip about HDMI & audio, haven't really kept tabs on the new style technology, so a bit of a learning curve for me.

Cheers

4. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Forgot to mention, i don't have an AV amp at the moment, so it should make for a good upgrade! :D