Av amp latest must haves ??

has2mow

Hi all
I am looking for a new amp to replace my old pioneer ax3 which is getting on a bit now , what is the latest requirement's that a amp must do ? im finding all the new formats a headache

24 fps is this for the amp or player ?
1.3 hdmi ???

what else do i need to bring me upto date

many thanks has2mow

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
24fps is for the bluray player and TV - it's a purely video function and you can just get the amp to pass on the signal. The only time a problem arises is if you try to get the amp to perform video processing as well as audio processing. For the most part you can let your source deal with deinterlacing and scaling, otherwise your TV will do it.

HDMI 1.3 is a prerequisite for bitstreaming undecoded HD audio from a bluray player to an amplifier, for decoding in the amp. If your player has onboard decoding, any version of HDMI is sufficient, but since most current amps have HDMI 1.3, it's not really an issue.

More important than the HDMI version is the ability of the amp to extract the audio stream from the HDMI input. Some amps merely act as HDMI switches.

If you own or playn to purchase a legacy / budget bluray player - that is one without onboard decoding of the HD formats - you'll probably want to buy an amp having the decoding missing from the player. These are Dolby TrueHD and dts hd ma.

sp_harris

Maybe look for up-conversion - all video inputs fed out through a single HDMI output? It makes switching sources much easier and simpler connection to TV.

has2mow

nice one all

so i need 1.3 hdmi , not 1,1 ? 24 fps is for blueray players but am i right in thinking that the tv or projector needs also to be able to do this ?
also upconversion in the amp will make 576 lines into 1080 p , so turning freeview and basic sky into 720 or 1080

i am a little bit behind in tech , so would rather take outside advice rather than being sold something they want to get rid of

the amp is in quite a tight spot as you can see , i did like the look of the onkyo 876 but was told they would get hot in that location also they are fully loaded with latest fimware ??

any suggestion on amps budget 750 , to run tv and proj ?

Attachments

Last edited:

dwhite

also upconversion in the amp will make 576 lines into 1080 p , so turning freeview and basic sky into 720 or 1080
No that's whats known as upscaling.

Upconversion is changing analog video inputs (composite,svideo, component) for HDMI output. So you can connect everything via any available video inputs to the amp and have a single HDMI to the display. This to me is a much more useful feature than upscaling, as your HD display will upscale as required anyway.

has2mow

No that's whats known as upscaling.

Upconversion is changing analog video inputs (composite,svideo, component) for HDMI output. So you can connect everything via any available video inputs to the amp and have a single HDMI to the display. This to me is a much more useful feature than upscaling, as your HD display will upscale as required anyway.
Well you would agree that i need help then LOL, my projector is 720 and also my tv will do a max of 768 line's but how do i input this into the tv .
i am looking to spend some money on av equipment this year , so i am hopeing not to get it wrong ? any thoughts

also how do i find out who has left thanks ? this forum is brill

ChrisAV

Novice Member
Click on your id (has2mow), select view public profile, select statistics, near the bottom there are two links to see who you've thanked and who's thanked you.

Your TV will upscale/downscale whatever signal it receives to the number of lines available.

Chris

has2mow

ChrisAV

top man thats 3 things i've learned in total today . tomorrow i will no more than today LOL

what amp are you useing , and whats missing from it if any ?

has2mow

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
so i need 1.3 hdmi , not 1,1 ? 24 fps is for blueray players but am i right in thinking that the tv or projector needs also to be able to do this ?
No (except for bitstreaming from Bluray sources without onboard decoding), yes and no in order.

Upconversion is the ability to reduce the number of cables between the amp and the TV by converting video formats. Unless this is important to you, the feature serves no other useful purpose.

Scaling from one resolution to the other is known as scaling. It is usually peformed by the source (where access to the metadata is avaiable) and it is always performed by the TV. There is never any need to scale in the receiver, although if you spend a fortune on a receiver and almost nothing on the TV, it may improve the picture - although even then buying a better TV would be the better course of action.

Concentrate on audio performance in an audio device. Let your video equipment deal with the video performance. Especially at your budget.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom