Av Amp Help Needed

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MATT JENNER, Dec 9, 2002.

1. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I currently have the SOny Strdb930 amp, it has given no trouble, but i like many feel it is time to upgrade,
    I am after an amp that has true 6.1, can you recommend any,

i was looking at the Sony 1070 6.1 amp, are these any good, my room is 12 foot square and i have the Acoustic energy Aespirt speaker set up.

thanx in advance for the help

matt

ps
    what is the difference between the sony 1070 and the 1080 ?

2. JRHAY72

JRHAY72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 1070 is an excellent amp and should suit your needs perfectly. There has been some questioning on this forum regarding its CD playback using the digital connection but have not experienced this - I use the analogue connection for this and use the digital connection for my DVD player and this sounds great.

The only difference between this and the 1080 is that the 1080 has Dolby Pro-Logic II and the 1070 doesn't. But as the 1070 is now pretty much discontinued you can pick them up quite cheaply - think Currys are selling them for £250 at the moment?

Hope this helps.

3. Ravi 123

Ravi 123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much are looking to spend ?

4. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    go up to 500.00

5. Ravi 123

Ravi 123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well im currently using a Yamaha rxv -1200 which i payed £550 from sevenoaks with a 2 year gurantee RRP - £850.
    Only rated at 80 watts x 6 rms but this is more like 100 - 120 watts compared to competitors.

Have a look at this review .......

http://www.eastwoodhifi.com.au/rxv-1200.htm

Ive compared this product against the Marantz 7200, Denon 3802, Arcam AVR200 and the Sony STRVA555ES
    and the Yamaha for me was the best product for me in many areas espically sound.
    :) :) :)

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    For some strange reason the 1080 is around ½ the weight of a 1070.What have Sony cut back on ?

7. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Don't believe everything you read :D

I also was lead to believe this and posted on this very forum if anyone new why the 1080 was lighter than the 1070 before I went ahead and purchased one.

Anyway I got a sale agreed on my 1070 and it was gonna be picked up a few days later, so in the meantime I went and bought the 1080. It didn't feel any lighter and when I got home the box was almost identicle to the 1070's and both boxes had 16Kg printed on them.

Picked each one up one after the other a few times, not very technical i know but I would say they weigh exactly the same.

Bry

8. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's certainly not much lighter than the 940. I carried one half a mile home and it was getting a bit desperate by the time I got there!

It's a good all rounder I think. Capable of performing well with a good music source and is fantastic for movies. Maybe there is better stuff out there but the 1080 is definately worth a look IMHO.

S