AV Amp help needed. Buget £1,000 -£1,500

J

jpsisk

Hello All,

I have been looking for a while for a new AV amp for my home cinema set up. I am upgrading the entire over time. Have recently purchased a Toshiba Regza 42 and the PS3.

I have a digital Sony home cinema amp (cant recall the model number), but it is about 7 years old and possibly a little outdated. Floorstander speakers are KEF (9 years old). Rubbish speakers at rear. Mission centre and small Yamaha sub (both new)

Now I have some HD kit I thought it was time to look at a nice HD Amp/Reciever.

I did look at the Sony 1200es, but decided against after reading comments in soem of the threads here. I have upped the stakes in what I can afford and would like peoples opinion on the Denon AVR 3806? Looks great and seems to do everything I need, however, when I was looking at the rear picture I did not see an input for a sub. Am i blind?

What about Arcam and Rotel? Are they worth the extra money or just nice to look at.

Please help!

Thanks in advance.
::confused: :

Personally i would wait for the new Denon AVR 3808ci or the AVR4808ci

However, thats said it could be a time to grab a right bargin with the 2 older models 3806 and 4806.

Also the Arcam AVR350 is worth a look....

However, its doesn't support LPCM over HDMI so the new sound formats would be wasted on it. Unless your player outputs them via analog.

Andy

Thanks Andy

Whats the wait like for the new Denons? and nay idea of price?

Cheers buddy.

hi

i have an arcam AVR350 which is fantastic with movies and music alike.

the fact it doesnt transfer sound over HDMI isnt much of a problem as i own quality digital cables.

Arcam argue you lose quality (jitter rate?) my transferring audio this way and as the amp is set up as a quality receiver then they stick to seperating sound in this manner.

i paid a silly price for it £1450 but apparantly you can barter one to around £1200 - at least audition one .

if you dont succeed then, as i have a kid on the way and have to do up the room, i may be persuaded to sell if you like the sound.

i was quite impressed with the marantz amp too mind

Thanks.

I will audition one this weekend if possible. As I am in Ireland there is only one dealer. Any idea what you might sell yours for?

Regards,
JP

Thanks Andy

Whats the wait like for the new Denons? and nay idea of price?

Cheers buddy.

AV Land have the 3808ci priced up at £999.99

Which in my option is a cracking price for what it can do.

ETA on these is very soon there are reports that end of this or next month.

Andy

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom