• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AV amp for Music? Pioneer/CA/??

smarti

Standard Member
I've been searching these and other forums and feel none the wiser! Am hoping someone may help.

I'm mainly interested in music reproduction but really need to use the same amp for the TV in order to be family friendly as well. I've got a 5.1 system using an Onkyo SR605 bi-amped into my Mission 752 Freedoms which sounds average using on board DACs and a lot better using an Arcam rDAC fed by dedicated PC into the CD socket. However, it's not really good enough. I tried plugging the rDAC into my old Quad 34/306 today to get a reference point soundwise, bypassing the Onkyo altogether, which sounded great until smoke started pouring out of the back!

So far I've been considering the Cambridge Audio 551R and the Pioneer SC-2022.

Has anyone any experience of these? Would really appreciate some opinions.

smarti

Standard Member
martin 39 said:
Have you not thought about a arcam avr400 will suit your needs

I thought that it would probably be out of budget as I'm looking at about £600 secondhand, i've seen the others around this mark recently. I do like arcam stuff though and I've recently sold my Arcam cd player along with lots of other gear to finance this.

martin 39

I could not believe how good it was when I got mine . So much so I done away with my 2 channel amp. You could get a older model .

smarti

Standard Member
Do you mean the 350 which apparently is better than the 360 it replaces? Theres a 500 too thats been discontinued...

martin 39

Yeah I'm not any arcam expert but I would imagine it's weather you need 3d networking and hd surround sound. There is a 400 in the classified at tbe moment . Or have ylu thought about marantz and yamaha

smarti

Standard Member
I think this is where it gets confusing really. As there is so much choice for what seems like a simple requirement ie. an AV receiver that focusses on good stereo sound. I'm not too worried about the quality of the surrounds, although centre needs to be good for speech, and I don't want video processing as my TV is pretty good at that. This is why I thought maybe the CA 551R would be good - but there's very little comment on that particular item anywhere for which there may be a reason.

martin 39

I have heard that marantz are ment to be good you could look for a older model one such as the 7005 . Or a yamaha 3067 you might find one off them second hand in your price range . Is the arcam in the classified to dear .

smarti

Standard Member
Shame, it looks like I just missed one for £800 which I could have managed just and it was located within driving distance. The others (quite a few actually) seem to be over £1k and therefore beyond my means.

smarti

Standard Member
Finally decided to go with my original plan! I'll get the Quad repaired and buy a cheap second-hand AV amp with pre-outs. Many thanks for your comments.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom