AV Amp For Mass Audio Gen 2

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by ClarkKent77, Jun 11, 2019.

1. ClarkKent77

ClarkKent77
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think I'm going to buy the MASS Audio 5.1 Gen 2 surround sound system. I've discovered that I need to buy a separate AV Amp.

Richer Sounds suggested the Onkyo TXL50 Black Av at £399. I don't know anything about AV Amps. Is this one a good choice? Can anyone suggest a suitable amp? Bearing in mind:

-I would prefer a small / relatively small amp
    -I would prefer one that would allow me to upgrade the Mass system to Dolby Atmos in the future

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,919
    The Onkyo, like all slimline receivers, is not very powerful. Onkyo quote 80 watts per channel into 4 ohms. If you go for 8 ohm speakers then you can virtually halve that output and with all the speakers being driven it's going to struggle to give you more than 25-30 watts into 8 ohms. Adding in Atmos for a maximum of 5.1.2 is going to dilute the available power even more.

Looking at slimline amps also suggests that you may want to put into a rack with limited room. Even with the slimlines they are still going to generate a lot of heat and good adequate ventilation is essential.

3. ClarkKent77

ClarkKent77
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gibbsy,

Thanks for the response. I think I understand what you are saying.

I'm not planning to put it into a rack. I just don't want large speakers or amps. I know that big usually means better when it comes to this sort of thing, but I've read that the MASS Audio 5.1 system has a good quality-for-size ratio, so I'm looking for the same sort of thing with an AV amp.

Any recommendations?

4. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,919
    You still need the headroom for the speakers to work well. The Mass are 8 ohm but the telling figure is the 84dB sensitivity. Even though they are small speakers they are difficult for a receiver to drive without distortion. The lower the sensitivity figure the harder it becomes for any amp.

The Mass are quite well respected and represent a good entry point into home cinema and with the right receiver will easily put a soundbar to shame. The Onkyo might very well suit your room and your listening level but without a diagram or room dimensions that's harder to give an answer to.

Personally I would go for a full size receiver along the lines of the Denon X2500. There are reasons other than size and overall power, not least a far superior room EQ system on the Denon which is easy to set up and use.

5. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +720
    If you look at packaging the MASS Gen 2 with a slimline amp, I'd suggest going for this option, Marantz NR-1509 - Monitor Audio MASS Gen 2, This to me sounds better than the Onkyo as they tend to sway towards a brighter sound where as the Marantz has a more musical flow that can do cinema extremely well considering it's compactness.

As @gibbsy says they are more difficult than some speakers to drive and you do need to be careful on pairing them with amps. Even the Marantz is on the bottom end of that ability

6. ClarkKent77

ClarkKent77
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers, guys.

If it helps, the front of the TV unit is 170 cm from the front of the couch, and it is 270 cm from the back wall. The room has stairs coming into it, and out of it, as the room is the middle floor of a townhouse. Not sure if this matters.

7. ShanePJ

ShanePJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +720
    So your measurements are 1.7m from the settee to the cabinet you have a room length of 2.7m front to back (counting the room front where the TV is)?

I'd suggest taking a quick photo on your phone so that others can get a feel for your room.

I guess other important measurements will be "Width - Depth - Height" of the whole the amp will be slotting into. Also, is it a cutout cabinet at the rear enabling you to gain access to it for plugging and unplugging cables?

8. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,919
    TV position is important. Middle of a wall, or tucked into a corner.

9. ShanePJ

ShanePJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +720
    As an alternative, you could look at some like this with the Marantz, Monitor Audio Radius One AV, you will loose and gain with this solution but it will work better with the Marantz