AV Amp for LPCM 5.1 using PS3

pure_geordie

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Been searching the forums but getting a bit confused.

Basic Q is as the title.

Looking to replace my existing amp so I can use the PCM sound formats for my PS3 Blu Ray. I think it needs to be HDMI as to get the LPCM 5.1 sound.

Is that right and what budget amps are out there for me to use, My speakers are 100W each per ch so the amp needs to be that aswell, unless you can tell me different.

I have a Pioneer VSX916 and will be selling this one to get the new one.
Also will I still be able to here my SD sound aswell if I do this

Cheers

also would it be ok for me to get a higher output amp instead.
my speakers are in my signature.
ta

OK then.

An 100W per channel amp that is capable and O/P 5.1LPCM from a PS3 blu rays.

cheers:smashin:

Basic Q is as the title.

Looking to replace my existing amp so I can use the PCM sound formats for my PS3 Blu Ray. I think it needs to be HDMI as to get the LPCM 5.1 sound.

Is that right and what budget amps are out there for me to use, My speakers are 100W each per ch so the amp needs to be that aswell, unless you can tell me different.

Cheers

Yes to you first question..the onkyo 605 would fit the bill at round about £350..that would drive you speakers no probs

jon

or the sony 910 which is about £260 and will work fine, i have one connect to my ps3 and i can get the hd audio from my ps3 and it sounds fab.

Yes to you first question..the onkyo 605 would fit the bill at round about £350..that would drive you speakers no probs

jon

That amp is only 90 watts per channel and my speakers are 100w.

Is that ok.

Also any links for both of these. Does the Sony one have the same specs and the other one??

cheers

Ive always thought it was better to have larger watts per speaker than what an amp can take,im using mission 754s for the front and 753s for the rears,going into a sony 5200es amp.Superb sound.Oh and try Richer Ssounds for your amp.

Right the Onkyo has these specs
DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
but has to much power per channel im for my speakers so they might blow up or get damaged. So thats not a good idea me thinks.

The sony one has the right per channel amplification but doesn't appear to have DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio.

So these two I think will not do or am I being :eek:

Also my mate said its not worth upgrading and just stick with Optical.

Is it really worth spending hundreds and not really noticing any different.

I can spend as much as I want but being realistic about £200-400.

Is it worth it then?

Well the sony 910 is on amazon now for £270.00,if it doesnt do what what you want you can send it back within 30 days+there customer service is second to none.

Is that right

Basically Yes, you can also get HD sound over 6 analogue inputs if you amp and player have them.

what budget amps are out there for me to use

Check this thread for the cheapest amp that will do this around £270. Another common option is the Onkyo 605, which seems to be changing price daily (lots of threads on this), but around £350 ish

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500582

Also will I still be able to here my SD sound aswell if I do thisCheers

Yes - amps that can do LPCM will do Dolby Digital and pro-logic as well.

An amp with 7x100w(RMS) would probably only be dishing out 7x60w in real use anyway. I was always told to have plenty of power on tap at your amp end, even if it exceeded your speakers, as it's distorted small power that kills speakers rather than clean over power. :rolleyes:

but has to much power per channel im for my speakers so they might blow up or get damaged. So that's not a good idea me thinks.

The Sony one has the right per channel amplification but doesn't appear to have DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio.

Has your mate upgraded yet?

jon

Basic Q is as the title.

Cheers

What oms are you speakers?

jon

but has to much power per channel im for my speakers so they might blow up or get damaged. So thats not a good idea me thinks.

The sony one has the right per channel amplification but doesn't appear to have DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio.

i think its worth the upgrade and i can tell the difference. The things as your main bluray source is the ps3 there is no benefit to you of getting the onkyo as it has dts master audio decoding as the ps3 cant send audio in bitstream format, so with the onkyo you will get the same as you do with the sony ie 5.1pcm over hdmi. You have to ask yourself is it worth it to you to pay the extra for more power and the abilty to decode sound formats you cant get.

Also there may be an update for the ps3 in the future that may allow it to decode DTSMA and send as pcm to there amp. My advice would be to try and get a demo of them both and buy the one that you think sounds better. Both are great amps and i was going to buty the onkyo untill i heard about the sony and i get access to the same hd audio formats that the 605 would have given me.

So its not worth it then to use Uncompressed 5.1LPCM. Compared to compressed 5.1 Optical for the PS3.:eek:

Its not what this guy said!!!

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47584

Cheers

yes its worth it,uncompressed audio over hdmi sounds so much better than standard dolby digital over optical. Both the 910 and onkyo will give uncompressed pcm over hdmi, so with your ps3 the ps3 decodes the dolby true hd and converts to pcm and sends to the amp or if the disc has it you can select the uncompressed pcm track. With both amps you get uncompressed pcm audio. The ony difference between the onkyo and th sony is that the onkyo has inbuilt dolby true hd and dts master audio decoders, however to do this your player must send the hd audio in bitsream format, the ps3 doesnt do this.

So in short both these amps will give you uncompressed pcm from your ps3.

So its not worth it then to use Uncompressed 5.1LPCM. Compared to compressed 5.1 Optical for the PS3.:eek:

Its not what this guy said!!!

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47584

Cheers

That post was from a year ago ..there was no hd receivers on the market then...i have had a lot of one box solutions..and processors including tag mclaren..using optical from a hd player..converting all the sound formats to dts at a higher bitrate...i can tell you this setup i have now is the best it has ever being..running all the sound over hdmi..the sound from the ps3 kicks arse over hdmi PCM and dts master from fox films witch i get at core they rock

jon

Right thanks for that.

Which amp then in short, for me connected to my PS3.

Also would anybody want the VSX916 then:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom