1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Amp for £250.00 or less ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SCOTT_SCOTLAND, May 19, 2004.

1. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for a new av amp but only have £200 - £250 max to spend. Any suggestions ? would prefer black to match rest of equipment..... :thumbsup:

2. Peter G

Peter G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  4. nimni

nimni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same budget, when choosing receiver you should make sure it’s right for your speakers and if you have 2 sets one for home cinema and one for stereo you need receiver with a+b speakers which marantz doesn’t have, consider denon 1604 £199, Yamaha rxv 440(award winning receiver) and 540 old model but you can find it for £160-£200 or the new model 450 for £250, Sony str de-597,697 at £210,£230 or pioneer vsx 812 at the moment £300 but new model soon so prices will go down, I have found it for £229 but out of stock, if you need any links to web sites let me know

5. Grasshopper

Grasshopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go to Superfi and ask for a price on the Pioneer 812 - despite it being on their website with money off at something under £300 I went into the shop last week and bought one new for £199 - an absolute bargain as it is the best budget amp according to What Hi-Fi.

Picking it up this friday so can't tell you what I think of it but all I've heard are great reviews on it!

6. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well, I'm perfectly happy with my Teac AG-10D (richer sounds £250) and can heartily recommend it. OK, so it's a bit ugly and has a terrible remote, but its better in stereo than my Yamaha 640 and goes *much* louder. Also manages to behave itself at high volume, too (unlike the Yammy). Good value when compared to Yamaha or Marantz 4400/5400.

Can be a tad bright at times, but there is a "brightness control" switch (Cinema EQ) that can tame a harsh dialogue channel.

DT

7. nimni

nimni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in which superfi store did you buy your pioneer 812reciver

8. Grasshopper

Grasshopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the Leeds based store - it came up on the till as being out of stock but they could get 2 at a price of £199. Not sure if this is the in-store price across all stores though. Same thing happened with my Evo 3's - they too were £199 in store but not advertised!

9. nimni

nimni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just orderd one from manchester buy it while you can!!!!!

10. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cambridge Audio 540R - lots of toys, good in stereo (100w x2 / 80w x 6)

£250 all in from Richer plus extra goodies if you haggle

11. europop1978

europop1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    roversd1, I just got an Azur 540R from RS yesterday. I'm guessing you've got one?

Before getting it I had tried the 540A, as they didn't have any 540R's left and the guy in RS said the 540R was equivalent to the 540A in terms of stereo performance. I was mightily impressed with the 540A, and decided if he was correct about the 540R being as good in stereo, as well as being good in 5.1, I'd definitely get it. So far I haven't properly tested the 540R in stereo, but I've given my LOTR:FOTR DVD a spin, and wasn't blown away to be honest. While sound effects are enhanced and much crisper and clearer than before, the music seems to lack the oomph it used to have, and in some places seems to be getting drowned out by the sound effects. Also, the loud "jump" moments in the soundtrack don't have the slam I was used to with my old amp.. they seem annoyingly tame. And I've had to turn up the volume of the sub much higher to get the same amount of bass (which sounds too muddy and not sharp enough). Are you totally happy with the 540R for movies?

Another problem I'm having, and I don't know if this is something I've missed, or if the 540R is faulty, I can't get any signal sent to the sub in stereo. I'm pretty sure I have it setup correctly, as it works for DTS LFE, and the amps test tone. But nothing for stereo sources. Any idea if I'm just doing something wrong?

Also, could you explain what you mean by "lots of toys" and "extra goodies"?

12. europop1978

europop1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've now tried the 540R for stereo, and I don't think it's as good as the 540A as claimed, though it's close and still an improvement on my old amp. I'm thinking though, given the somewhat disappointing DVD performance, I'm going to take it back to RS and keep hold of my money for the moment.