AV Amp Explanation

nevets2001uk

Standard Member
I'm a complete newbie to this sort of thing but think I'm on the right track.

We have just purchased our first HD TV (Toshiba 37RV635DB). The sound is not great and we'd also like to have surround for our other devices.

We have a Wii (Component cable on order), Sky+ (SD) via SCART and a upscaling DVD player which supports USB video etc. I have just recieved the HDMI so I can connect the DVD to the TV properly.

The ideal is that we can purchase a surround sound system which can be connected to all of these devices. We've seen some of the 5.1 kits in curry's etc which include a DVD player but I'm not sure these are right for us. For a start we are happy with the DVD we have and I'm not sure how we'd connect the Sky+ audio through the system.

Am I right in thinking we need a AV amp and seperate 5.1 speaker system? If so I'm after some recommendations but since our budget is tight I'm not sure we can even purchase this. The ideal is a complete entry level system for between £200 and £300. We live in a flat and won't expect to go too loud. We might be able to push £400 but no more.

If this is not possible are there any 5.1 home cinema kits out there in our price range which would allow at least the sky audio to be played through the surround?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You can get the all in one systems that have optical inputs so you could connect the sky+ to it. However, this means you will be paying for a DVD player you do not want or need. It also makes changing or upgrading very difficult.
Going the seperate route will give you a better end result and you will be able to tailor it to your needs. £300-£400 is not a huge budget but it is possible to get a starter system for this (Richer Sounds or even second hand -ebay/classifieds). I would suggest ignoring the newer HD amps and go for one that does Dolby Digital and DTS (some very good prices on these older amps). Then either get a cheap satelite system (Jamo do a few good ones I think within your budget) or see what you can get in conventional speakers. Given your limited budget it may be worth thinking about a stereo or 2.1 system to start with. This will keep costs down (or mean you can buy better speakers as concentrating budget on 2 or 3 speakers instead of trying to stretch to 6) and will still give you a significant improvement in sound quality over the TV speakers. Can then add in the other speakers as funds allow.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'm a complete newbie to this sort of thing but think I'm on the right track.

We have just purchased our first HD TV (Toshiba 37RV635DB). The sound is not great and we'd also like to have surround for our other devices.

We have a Wii (Component cable on order), Sky+ (SD) via SCART and a upscaling DVD player which supports USB video etc. I have just recieved the HDMI so I can connect the DVD to the TV properly.

The ideal is that we can purchase a surround sound system which can be connected to all of these devices. We've seen some of the 5.1 kits in curry's etc which include a DVD player but I'm not sure these are right for us. For a start we are happy with the DVD we have and I'm not sure how we'd connect the Sky+ audio through the system.

Am I right in thinking we need a AV amp and seperate 5.1 speaker system? If so I'm after some recommendations but since our budget is tight I'm not sure we can even purchase this. The ideal is a complete entry level system for between £200 and £300. We live in a flat and won't expect to go too loud. We might be able to push £400 but no more.

If this is not possible are there any 5.1 home cinema kits out there in our price range which would allow at least the sky audio to be played through the surround?

You have two options open to you:

1. Buy an AV amp and speaker package as you've already inplied.

2. Buy an integrated Home Theatre In a Box (HTIB). These are like the all in one systems you mentioned, but don't always incorporate a player Some just come with the decoding/processing unit (sometimes combined with the subwoofer) and the additional satellite speakers.

The first option will be more expensive because you'll need to buy both the AV amp and the speakers, but will offer you more options when it comes to connectivity, decoding abilities and future expansion.

The HTIB will be cheaper and may well prove to be an adequate solution if your requirements aren't too demanding.

I'd say that your higher budget of £400 would be the most suitable to get you something reasonable regardless of which of the two options prove to be the most suitable.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Some options:

The Onkyo TX-SR576 7.1 Channel A/V Receiver for £250
Onkyo TX-SR576 7.1 Channel A/V Receiver (B-Stock)

ONKYO > Onkyo TX-SR506 7.1 Channel A/V Receiver £200
ONKYO TXSR506-BLK at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Both of the two receivers will requires speakers:

KEF KHT1005.2 5.1 Speaker Package £230
KEF KHT1005.2-SIL at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Tannoy SFX5.1 5.1 Speaker Package £200
TANNOY SFX5.1-BLK at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Jamo A102HCS5 5.1 Speaker Package £225
Jamo A102HCS5 5.1 Speaker Package 500W - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Here's what I suggest for the HTIB solution:

The Onkyo HTX-22HD
The HTX-22HD is a high definition, 2.1 channel (upgradable to 5.1), home cinema speaker system featuring HDMI 1.3 connectivity, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding, an integrated amplifier and subwoofer and stereo front speakers.

combined with …

The Onkyo SKS-11 speaker package which upgrades the Onkyo HTX-22HD high definition speaker system from a 2.1 to a full 5.1 channel surround system.

The total for the two should be below your £400 limit.

nevets2001uk

Standard Member
Thanks so much for the advice. It's a big help. I hadn't considered starting with a 2.1 system and moving up later but it's a good idea.

I'll cheak out the links and consider all of my options.

Zer0

Novice Member

Hi, I have seen these 3 speaker packages mentioned a few times.... and are the 3 in my price range, is one better than the others? would you have one over an other if depeneding on amp? like tannoy with an onkyo and the jamos with a yamaha kinda thing?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hi, I have seen these 3 speaker packages mentioned a few times.... and are the 3 in my price range, is one better than the others? would you have one over an other if depeneding on amp? like tannoy with an onkyo and the jamos with a yamaha kinda thing?

The three packages have their own qualities. The Jamos partner better with warmer amps such as Yamaha because the speakers are slightly biased toward the bright side. Onkyos are brighter than Yamahas and would be better suited to use with the Tannoy package. THe KEFs, although brighter than the Tannoy speakers, are not as bright as the Jamos and are more acceptable for use with amps that are either warm or bright.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom