Av amp connected to pre amp

hotpipes

Standard Member
Hi, I am having trouble finding how best to connect an AV processor (yamaha A1) to a preamp and pwr amp
At present I use a Arcam alpha9 which has a processor switch as a pre for a Bryston 4bst, but would like to get new pre and ones with processor switch are not so common. Is there another way to connect processor and pre ?:confused:

mannyjarnail

Novice Member
Hi, I am having trouble finding how best to connect an AV processor (yamaha A1) to a preamp and pwr amp
At present I use a Arcam alpha9 which has a processor switch as a pre for a Bryston 4bst, but would like to get new pre and ones with processor switch are not so common. Is there another way to connect processor and pre ?:confused:
From what i understand of the above you want to connect a new pre-amp that has not got a processor switch and power amplifier to the yamaha a1. You may acheive this by connecting the power amplifier outputs from your a1 to a input on your pre-amp. So the surround signal just acts as a input on the pre-amp. Although the only problem with this method is that you will have two volume controls to contend with one on the a1 and the other on the new preamp. So its a little tricky when calibrating the surround channels but as long as you know the reference volume setting on the pre-amp just make sure its set to that when listening to surround.

robfitzp

Novice Member
There is no likelihood of damage by doing this, though the volume setting on the 2 channel amp is likely to be higher than you would ordinarily use for CD etc.

Just set the 2 channel pre to an easily repeatable setting then set levels on the av amp - my set up works just this way.

Cheers
Rob

QPR_FC

Standard Member
I picked up new pre/power amps today and tried to hook them up to my front pre-outs of my a/v receiver - I just hear a constant buzz when the pre-amp input selector is set to the a/v receiver as the source.
When the input selector is set to CD, with my CD connected straight into the pre-amp (ie not via the a/v receiver), it sounds great.

I have triend turning the volume down on one and up on the other and vice-cersa, but the humming buzz is constantly there.

Could anybody help me resolve this issue, otherwise I'll need to consider returning them to the shop.

Steven

M

MikeFish

I picked up new pre/power amps today and tried to hook them up to my front pre-outs of my a/v receiver - I just hear a constant buzz when the pre-amp input selector is set to the a/v receiver as the source.
When the input selector is set to CD, with my CD connected straight into the pre-amp (ie not via the a/v receiver), it sounds great.

I have triend turning the volume down on one and up on the other and vice-cersa, but the humming buzz is constantly there.

Could anybody help me resolve this issue, otherwise I'll need to consider returning them to the shop.

Steven
Have you tried connecting the pre-outs of your AV receiver straight into the inputs of the power amp (by-passing the pre-amp)? If you do this and you still get the hum then you can eliminate the pre-amp as the problem. If the hum goes, then it looks like the pre-amp is the problem.
Are you sure all the cables are in the correct place? Is there anything you need to set on reciever to activate the pre-outs?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
First of, we need a definition of humming / buzz. If it's a 50Hz hum, then it's most likely a ground loop, and we'll need to address that. Buzz is not normally used to describe a 50Hz hum though. If you're talking about a 50Hz hum, you're going to have to post a very precise hookup description so that we can start looking for the grounding issues.

robfitzp

Novice Member
Does it hum on all inputs?

On my music first passive I got a hum on all inputs other than input F which according to the manufacturer has a different grounding path - might be worth trying out different inputs.

Cheers
Rob

hotpipes

Standard Member
There is no likelihood of damage by doing this, though the volume setting on the 2 channel amp is likely to be higher than you would ordinarily use for CD etc.

Just set the 2 channel pre to an easily repeatable setting then set levels on the av amp - my set up works just this way.

Cheers
Rob
thanks Rob, that's what I just what I wanted to hear, it works ok for me too now:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom