av amp and stereo amp

ianlecompte

Novice Member
just setting up my newish amp, yamaha a5 and decided to use my exsiting stereo amp as well as i,m not using a sub.the bass out put from the sherwood is much greater.now my question is this,i,m unsure were the volume on the stereo amp should ideally be and also what bass and treble controls do i use.i.e the ones on the yamaha or sherwood.the phono outs are connected to the tape mon on the sherwood,there is no aux.is it a case of just experimenting or is there a correct way.sorry to talk in such a poor way,but i,m not very good at explaining things.shall i just use the test tones on the yamaha and adjust all to sound correct,and remember where it is set at(the stereo amp volume)?
any advice would be really helpful,apart from telling me to buy a sub(i no,i no,i no)my wife would kill me if i spend any more cash
ian

Reiner

now my question is this,i,m unsure were the volume on the stereo amp should ideally be
Ideally you should level the settings using a SPL meter: set the stereo amp to about 50%, then adjust the volume levels for all channels - if the fronts don't match adjust at the stereo amp first and remember or mark the position of the volume knob. Use that position whenever you watch a movie (but remember to turn it down when switching to a stereo-only source which is directly connected to the stereo amp!).

and also what bass and treble controls do i use.i.e the ones on the yamaha or sherwood.
The ones at the Sherwood would only affect the front speakers. How you set them is a matter of personal preference.

the phono outs are connected to the tape mon on the sherwood,there is no aux.is it a case of just experimenting or is there a correct way.
You can use any line level input, CD, AUX, Tuner etc. but not the Phono (turntable) in.
If the amp has an input which can be set to a fixed gain (there should be a switch on the back) use that. This will disable the volume control of the stereo amp when the respective input is selected.

sorry to talk in such a poor way,but i,m not very good at explaining things.shall i just use the test tones on the yamaha and adjust all to sound correct,and remember where it is set at(the stereo amp volume)?
Yes, that is the correct way to do it (see above). :smashin:

any advice would be really helpful,apart from telling me to buy a sub(i no,i no,i no)my wife would kill me if i spend any more cash
Buy a sub. ;) Just kidding, but make sure to set the subwoofer as NO in the AV amp's setup menu so that the LFE (.1) is routed to the fronts (they must run as LARGE then).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom