1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

av amp and stereo amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ianlecompte, Feb 24, 2004.

1. ianlecompte

ianlecompte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    just setting up my newish amp, yamaha a5 and decided to use my exsiting stereo amp as well as i,m not using a sub.the bass out put from the sherwood is much greater.now my question is this,i,m unsure were the volume on the stereo amp should ideally be and also what bass and treble controls do i use.i.e the ones on the yamaha or sherwood.the phono outs are connected to the tape mon on the sherwood,there is no aux.is it a case of just experimenting or is there a correct way.sorry to talk in such a poor way,but i,m not very good at explaining things.shall i just use the test tones on the yamaha and adjust all to sound correct,and remember where it is set at(the stereo amp volume)?
    any advice would be really helpful,apart from telling me to buy a sub(i no,i no,i no)my wife would kill me if i spend any more cash
    ian

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ideally you should level the settings using a SPL meter: set the stereo amp to about 50%, then adjust the volume levels for all channels - if the fronts don't match adjust at the stereo amp first and remember or mark the position of the volume knob. Use that position whenever you watch a movie (but remember to turn it down when switching to a stereo-only source which is directly connected to the stereo amp!).

The ones at the Sherwood would only affect the front speakers. How you set them is a matter of personal preference.

You can use any line level input, CD, AUX, Tuner etc. but not the Phono (turntable) in.
    If the amp has an input which can be set to a fixed gain (there should be a switch on the back) use that. This will disable the volume control of the stereo amp when the respective input is selected.

Yes, that is the correct way to do it (see above). :smashin:

Buy a sub. ;) Just kidding, but make sure to set the subwoofer as NO in the AV amp's setup menu so that the LFE (.1) is routed to the fronts (they must run as LARGE then).

3. ianlecompte

ianlecompte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    cheers reiner,will do