1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV amp and stereo amp together?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Timmie Boy, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Timmie Boy

Timmie Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Denon AVR2800 AV amp but I want better hifi stereo so I want to add the Arcam A85 amp.
    Front speaker cables will be connected to the Arcam all other speaker connections remain on the Denon.
    I will use the Denon pre-outs (front) to connect to the Arcam "AV" line in.
    When I want to listen to my Denon for DD 5.1 or DTS I just select the "AV" mode on the Arcam. However, will I loose any quality in the sound when I'm watching DVD's in DD 5.1 or DTS by going via the Arcam amp?
    Anyone else got his set-up and suggest a better way for connections?
    Sorry if this has already been an earlier post!
    Many thanks for any suggestions

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm no expert, but it's my (humble) opinion that quality will be lost, just because you are using a seperate amp just for the front speakers. Your front and centre speakers will not be matched either.

Also... would volume be affected (ie. your fronts could be *much* louder in proportion to your rears, or does the denon compensate by increasing the pre-out signal (which can only go so far?))

-TF

3. Timmie Boy

Timmie Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks TaintedFire,

True, probably the fronts won't be matched to the centre - good point!
    I really do like the Arcam perhaps theres other ways of combining the two amps? I want the best of both worlds so I don't want to compromise.
    Tough call I know!

4. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Unless I have misunderstood you this should work fine. You are effectively using the Denon as a processor. The fact that the A85 is in circuit for the L and R main channels and the Denon provides power to the rest is fine. There will be no mismatching provided you set up the levels on the Denon's set-up menu. On its AV input the A85 can be configured to fixed gain (i.e. just like a power amp) so there is no need to remember volume settings on the A85 when going into AV mode. On other inputs it reverts to a behaving like a normal stereo amp.

You should route your stereo only sources direct into the Arcam with analogue cables; your AV sources can go through the Denon via analogue or digital connections as required.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

5. Timmie Boy

Timmie Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one John!

Obviously coming straight from the horses mouth you're opinion maybe slighty biased if you're representing the company Arcam!
    But I wouldn't blame you for that!
    I demoed the Arcam A85 at home, but I was so entranced listening to my cd's via the arcam cd72T I forgot to check the AV performance!
    I did confirm that the Denon & Arcam worked together via the tuner in stereo, but never got round to hooking up my dvd player and giving it the full demo (doh, slapped wrist!)
    Perhaps I should borrow the A85 again just to make sure!
    I do believe you John, honest! but I can see the logic in that the sound maybe tainted going through another amp, through the front channels but not the centre (not too worried about the rears) - I hope I'm wrong!
    BTW A85 is stunning with my B&W 603 S3's & Arcam CD72T!

6. Timmie Boy

Timmie Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John Dawson,

You mentioned setting up the levels on the Denon, but what is there to set-up on the Denon?, as long as I fix the gains on the Arcam A85?
    Many thanks

7. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John is absolutley right, I use a different power for the front channels and it works fine.

I do a little different, all sources are connected to the AV, and I use direct when I want just the fronts working, this way you just need a power, instead of an integrated amplifier...

8. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a very similar question - relating to a Denon 3802 and NAD3020 stereo amp (sorry to hijack this thread - didn't think it worth starting a new one for such a similar thing)

Would it be crazy for me to use such a great AV amp as the Denon 3802 as a processor for this old amp? Also - I don't think the NAD has the fixed gain option so how would I connect them and match the speaker levels?

It's just the way that my room is organised, it would be a lot easier for me to have the Denon sited with the TV along with the VCR, Digibox, PS2 and DVD player - connected by a long stereo phono lead to the NAD amp which is at the other end of the room with the CD player, turntable and tape deck! (Two doors, a fireplace and a radiator prevent me from moving them closer!)

That way, the only long connection would be the stereo phono lead, with all the digital connections relatively short near the TV. The stereo speakers would be connected to the NAD with the surrounds/centre connected to the Denon.

Is this a daft setup - would it only make sense if I upgrade the stereo amp?? (I do still really like the NAD amp's capabilities, even if it IS old)

Please tell me if you think that this is a really bad idea..I'm not even sure if it can be done!

Thanks,
    Adele.

9. PeteM

PeteM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I believe any tainting of the audio from using a seperate power amp for the front will simply be down to the different sonic signatures of the Arcam and Denom power amp stages.

In this case I would expect it to be a case of the Arcam putting the Denon to shame, so you may soon be on the market for an Arcam P85/3 to replace the remaining Denon power amps :)