AV Amp and Speakers - with Samsung LE46A656A TV and PS3

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sjashworth2002, May 26, 2008.

1. sjashworth2002

sjashworth2002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site and have just bought a new Samsung LE46A656A Series 6 TV and a Sony PS3. I now want to invest in a AV Amplifier and some surround speakers and am looking for advice on best solution to consider. I have a budget of about £1000 and would prefer a system that does not have huge speakers. I will be using in a fairly small living room so do not need anything too powereful.

Was considering a Onkyo TX-SR606 7.1 AV Receiver but am open to advice as I really do not know much about these things.

many thanks for your help in advance

Simon
    :thumbsup:

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,503
    The model down, the 576 would be a more suited partner for the PS3 as you don't need onboard HD audio decoding in the receiver as the PS3 can't send out a raw (bitstream) signal. It has to do the decoding internally and send it out as LPCM over HDMI (HD audio formats).

If you can live with the look of the Onkyos, take a look here. It wouldn't be a bad start and there are other packages available. Another online retailer to try is Roy Jowett. I can recommend both for advice and prices etc. I've seen the Q-Acoustic speakers separate for £300 at superfi...

Other amps to consider are the Marantz SR4002, Denon 1908, Yamaha 763 (a few folks are starting to say it blows Onkyo out of the water but it only has 2 HDMI inputs), Yamaha 761 and Sony 910 (outgoing models). Those can all handle LPCM over HDMI from the PS3. Others to consider are the Cambridge Audio which would be better with music but lack HD audio. Arcam is always worth considering from a purely audio quality point of view and good discounts are available on the likes of the AVR250/280 models.

If you can get hold of a set of Quad L-ites they would be a great buy. They're discontinued so finding them is rare and if you do, you'll be limited to probably a dark wood finish. The finish is sublime though and they sound good too.