Av amp and hdmi matrix

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Fitzyboy2000, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Fitzyboy2000

Fitzyboy2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good afternoon.

I have a AV amp in a av rack with sky, ps3 and apple tv, along with a 2 in 4 out matrix, can i input my sky into the matrix via hdmi and optical to amp to all 4 sources then apple tv and ps3 into amp via hdmi, then from amp to matix? my question is if i use the amp for switching between ps3 and apple tv and use the matrix to output to all 4 devices.

I hope not to confusing.. lol

Thanks

Chris

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,850
    You can't pass the audio sourced via optical on through the amp via HDMI.

You can use the matrix to distribute the selected HDMI input to all possible HDMI outputs of the matrix. Whether this works would ultimately depend upon the source content's video and audio makeup. The destinations would all need to be able to handle the resi=ollution as well as the type of audio being output by the source. Also note that you'd need to configure your receiver to actually passthrough audio via HDMI and this may limit the type of audio the source will output. The source will only output what it determines the capability of the lowest capable device it is being output to. All devices would be limited to this even if their capabilities are greater than another device's using the same source.

3. Fitzyboy2000

Fitzyboy2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dante

Thanks for your advice.

I was only going to output optical from ps3 and sky into amp for surround sound in the main living area and 2 channel via hdmi through matrix? so a 4 x 4 matrix would work better? I thought of a 2 x 4 as they are considerably cheaper than a 4 x 4.. I just didnt know if the amp would be able to switch between devices then output to matrix?

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,850
    As I said, if the HDMI devices are passing HDMI signals through the receiver, to the matrix and then to several or one destination then if you need to send the audio via HDMI, you must confuigure the receiver to allow audio to be passed through.

The number of inputs you should have on the matrix should equate to the number of devices you intend to connect to it.

The SKY box's HDMI feed will carry stereo audio even if also conveying 5.1 via an optical connection.

The receiver outputs to the matrix in the exact same way it would output to any other destination. If you select a source that is connected to the receiver then this is what is sent to the matrix.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  5. Fitzyboy2000

Fitzyboy2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again, so what i propose can work?

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,850
    If you are asking whether the HDMI signal from either your PS3 or your Apple TV can be passed through your receiver to the matrix and then distributed by it to several HDMI equipped destinations then the answer is yes, but with the provisos I outlined.