• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AV Amp advice please.

fixerman

Established Member
My old Onkyo AV amp has seen better days and as I am decorating and reconfiguring my lounge I thought I may as well treat myself to a new one. Can I have some advice please as to what is currently recommended. I am not at the high end of experience in this area. I require 5.1 output and at least four HDMI inputs with full audio and video in and out. One HDMI out would be sufficient. A radio tuner is not essential nor is Airplay as I use my Apple TV for that. My system is a Tivo from Virgin Media, a Humax Freesat PVR, a Blu Ray player and an Apple TV which outputs 1080p.

I am hoping to minimise the number of cables by using mainly HDMI for interconnections, thereby avoiding optical and coaxial audio.

I look forward to your advice. Thanks!:)

fixerman

Established Member
What is your budget? What speakers do you use?

Thanks for your prompt response!

Budget £500. Front speaker Mordaunt Short MS 202, centre speaker Jamo Centre 150 and two small Jamos to the rear. All 8ohms. Plus a powered Subwoofer.

Last edited:

davepuma

Distinguished Member
With that sort of budget I would be looking at the likes of Marantz SR5006 or 6006, Denon AVR-2312 or Yamaha 810. All should be available on budget and will last you through to a decent speaker upgrade which I would recommend doing.

All are outgoing models so discounted so be quick as they won't be around for long at those prices. Their replacements will cost considerably more!

Last edited:

fixerman

Established Member
With that sort of budget I would be looking at the likes of Marantz SR5006 or 6006, Denon AVR-2312 or Yamaha 810. All should be available on budget and will last you through to a decent speaker upgrade which I would recommend doing.

All are outgoing models so discounted so be quick as they won't be around for long at those prices for long. Their replacements will cost considerably more!

Thanks Dave! I shall have a look at your recommendations.:thumbsup:

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Just to add re your requirement for only using HDMI cables: If you want to hear 5.1 broadcasts (where available) from your Sky box, you will need to connect the optical output from the box to your new amp otherwise you'll only get stereo via the HDMI cable. :)

fixerman

Established Member
Just to add re your requirement for only using HDMI cables: If you want to hear 5.1 broadcasts (where available) from your Sky box, you will need to connect the optical output from the box to your new amp otherwise you'll only get stereo via the HDMI cable. :)

I don't have Sky. I have a Tivo from Virgin Media and Humax Freesat PVR. Can I get 5.1 (when available) from these over HDMI?:confused:

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I have a Humax PVR myself the HD Fox one, but I have an older Arcam processor that doesn't do any audio decoding via HDMI, so I connect via optical anyway. I must have misread about you having Sky as I know this is a common issue. Easy enough to check when you get your amp as it will display what signal it is receiving/decoding, so just try it via HDMI first, then buy a separate optical cable later if necessary.

Sorry for adding any confusion. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom