AV advice for my pc setup

B

bluemoose

Hi guys,

while a do know a fair bit about computers and audio stuff, i'm far from being an expert when it comes to AV stuff.

Basically, my aim is to end up with a system which compromises a computer that is connected digitally (optical or coax) to an amp that will in turn output 5.1/6.1 sound.

The computer will be used to play high quality music, games, and digital tv (using my digital freeview pci card).

at the moment i have my computer connected to a cambridge audio a500 amp and a pair of gale 3020's.

I know i need digital out to connect to the AV, is a quality soundcard necessary? or can i use the optical out on the motherboard? I have read that digital out connections on computers dont support 5.1 sound, is that true?

also, what AV amp would be appropriate and from where, i am looking at 150 to £250 price range, so i suppose richer sounds is for me.

are my gale 3020s ok for 5.1 surround sound if i eventually buy some appropriate partners for them? to start with i woud just use the 2 gales before i can afford to complete my project.

any other general advice for this kind of setup?

if you have read this far then thanks a lot!!

martin

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom