Quantcast

Question AV Access extenders from Amazon any good?

waring192

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with AV Access HDBaseT extenders? They sell them on Amazon but are they any good? Seem to cheap to me...link for the 4K60Hz YUV4:4:4 18Gbps one I'm looking at is here.

Im only looking to extend 10/15meters but 100% need full [email protected] 10bit HDR.

Cheers

mushii

HDMI 2.0 wont do full [email protected] (which to me is YUV 4.4.4) with 10bit HDR there is not enough bandwidth as it only supports 18Gbps.

[email protected] 4:4:4 10bit-HDR = 22.28Gbps

These are your choices with HDMI 2.0

4K 60 4:4:4 (no HDR) = 17.82Gbps

4K 30 4:4:4 10b-HDR (no 60fps) = 11.14Gbps

4K 60 4:2:2 10b-HDR (no 4:4:4) = 17.82Gbps

waring192

They are only HDMI 2.0 so again not enough bandwidth. What are your source devices and what are you displaying on ?
Cheers. Is there anything that will do what I require?

Not that much Vero 4K+ (for Kodi + Plex plugin) (4K HDR), My Unraid server as I have a gaming VM using a 1080 Ti card (1440 HDR), Xbox One X (4K HDR), Samsung UHD Player (4K HDR). They all go directly into my AVR then the AVR outputs to

waring192

Couple of other questions? What is your AVR and what are your displaying on?
Your only device in there capable of [email protected] 10bit 4.4.4. HDR is your Xbox one
My AVR is a Pioneer SC-LX501 which does 4:4:4 passthrough but I will soon be changing to the SC-LX701 so I can use either 4 Atmos speakers or 2 x surround plus 2 x back surround.

My TV is a Samsung QE65Q9FN

I was aware that its the only one capable.

mushii

Actually looking your XBox1X wont do above 18Gbs as it is not true HDMI 2.1. So although your sink(TV) has HDMI 2.1 none of your other devices are so you have nothing that will actually output [email protected] 10bit 4.4.4. HDR.

If you want to do 15m I would recommend using a hybrid fibre HDMI cable, such as a RUIPRO.

waring192

Actually looking your XBox1X wont do above 18Gbs as it is not true HDMI 2.1. So although your sink(TV) has HDMI 2.1 none of your other devices are so you have nothing that will actually output [email protected] 10bit 4.4.4. HDR.

If you want to do 15m I would recommend using a hybrid fibre HDMI cable, such as a RUIPRO.
Many thanks,

So if none do [email protected] 10bit 4.4.4 then the Amazon one would be fine? It would be better than just a cable as I require IR extension also.

waring192

Cheers.

Very slightly off topic but is Just Add Power as good as HDBaseT? If I understand it JAP allows a modular situation where you can start with 1 x Tx and 1 x Rx and then add 2 x Tx and 1 x Rx or 1 x Tx and 2 x Rx as you go along?

waring192

Unfortunately I have no experience of JAP products. They seem very low bandwidth on paper (limited 4K).
Cheers again!

Lastly, what does the Amazon one differ from this one which is more expensive @ £355?

mabell

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with AV Access HDBaseT extenders? They sell them on Amazon but are they any good? Seem to cheap to me...link for the 4K60Hz YUV4:4:4 18Gbps one I'm looking at is here.

Im only looking to extend 10/15meters but 100% need full [email protected] 10bit HDR.

Cheers
I have one of these albeit the model down from this one which I use for connection to kitchen tv, reliable and works well. I’ll be getting this model when the time comes to hook up my projector to a receiver.

nonsoloinglese

@Joe Fernand would have useful input here. I am looking at the AV access but can’t see it as a registered provider detailed on HDBaseT.org

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
AV Access - have a good rep in the US. Very few 'Brands' are registered as actual HDMI Adopters and will instead work with a registered Adopter on the manufacturing, helps share the very high licensing costs around.

JAP - is HD over LAN so different processing to HDBT, HDBT has always claimed lighter image compression and HDBT is designed to be interoperable between multiple Brands of devices with embedded HDBT Transmitter and Receiver chips.

HDBT - is usually more cost effective on smaller systems, more costly as system size grows and is not 'modular' so ties you down to a fixed size of Matrix from the outset.

Joe

waring192

Cheers everyone.

In the end I went with the AV Access UltraHD 2.0 Extender @ £159.99 and it’s been flawless.

I think I will pick up a second one as it’s so cheap so I can have my Xbox One X hidden near the TV and have that go back to the AVR which is in the rack cabinet (in the garage).

Oh, as my Unraid server is in the rack also (connected to the AVR) running a Windows 10 VM (Dual Xeon E5-2695-V2 - passmark of 20590 and a Nvidia 1080Ti) I picked up a AV Access USB 2.0 Extender @ £55.99 for items like my wireless (doesn’t reach the rack cabinet) Xbox One Remote dongle, Corsair K63 Keyboard and Mouse Lapboard dongle and it’s easy to just plug in items like USB Drives etc instead of going into the garage. Again, works great.

Last edited: