1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV 78 Comparison

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by shadow, Jan 29, 2004.

1. shadow

shadow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to this forum so I apologize in advance if this issue has been previously discussed. I am interested in the DV78. In reading the Arcam info at their web site, it appears that the video is similar but audio is close but not quite 88+. Has anyone compared one to the other? I plan to use it with a MITS RPTV in progressive mode. I am considering using digital out to my receiver for music to get my sub into the act. I can use the analog outs but will lose the sub. How does it compare to the new 88? Thanks:cool:

2. ulysse

ulysse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi shadow.
    I was able to compare these two players for video and audio performance. I connected them via component to my projector Sanyo Z1 and also to my plasma Pioneer PDP434, and in my opinion their video performance is very similar indeed. In progressive mode I find it very hard to spot any difference.
    However they differ somewhat in audio quality, but then this also depends on the other components of your system. For example, if you use the analog outs with a good dedicated stereo amp like the arcam A85 and with a good pair of speakers, I would say that the DV88+ is clearly the better machine for cd listening. On the other hand, if you connect your player to a mid class surround receiver and a sub/sat system, I think the differences may not be very obvious and you could well go for the DV78. At its price point its certainly one of the best, but remember that it is not upgradable to DVD audio. Hope I could help.

3. shadow

shadow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your insights.