AV 1906 to TV OSD

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by schnuffi, Aug 3, 2006.

1. schnuffi

schnuffi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Before I finally go out and get the 1906 I'd be grateful for some assistance. I have a Toshiba CRT TV with 2 scarts (1 x RGB) and 1 yellow video socket on the front panel. How do I get OSD? Do I connect the amp to the yellow video socket on the TV. I guess I would only need OSD when setting up or making occasional adjustments?? I'll be watching TV through my Topfield PVR.
    One other thing, the manual says surround speakers of 6-16 ohms. Unfortunately my KEFs are 4 ohms, is this likely to cause problems?
    Hopefully someone can help.

2. davybaker

davybaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The scarts or the yellow socket will allow composite input from the amp for OSD. It depends on what leads you are going to get to connect it up with. I'd go with a scart to composite and stereo phono lead unless you have a scart input that accepts SHVS. Then I'd use that output of the amp.

3. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,936
    If your second Scart can accept S-Video (not SHVS(!) or SVHS) then I'd connect in that way and use the S-Video Monitor output on the amplifier.

You can then have your DVD player connected via RGB Scart to your TV for best playback on your CRT, and then you switch to the second scart for the OSD display for the amp.

4. schnuffi

schnuffi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks folks. I haven't access to the TVs manual at the moment, so can't check but almost certain there is no mention of composite in it. If it can accept composite your suggestions would leave me with needing an extra scart socket as I have my PVR plugged into the RGB scart and DVD into the other.
    I was planning to connect the PVR (no coax output) via optical to the AV receiver, DVD via coax and just use a cheap lead from the receiver to the yellow video input on the front of the tv just to help me use OSD whilst I set the receiver up, then unplug it. My TV is 4 metres away from the DVD/Receiver and I've just spent a fortune on a long scsrt
    Or am I being a bit thick? It's difficult to know without the opportunity for a bit of trial and error. For instance I don't know how often you need to refer to OSD when all is set up or can you get away with using the receivers own display?
    My head hurts and for some reason the missus can't understand why i need to waste all this money on leads.

5. schnuffi

schnuffi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've managed to check the manual. The 2nd scart is S-video.
    Any views on the speaker problem?