Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 Gaming Sound card

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by thelawns, Sep 13, 2007.

1. thelawns

thelawns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I had an Audigy 2 ZS in my machine yesterday. Last night it was ripped out and in its place went an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 Gaming Sound card.

OH MY GOD!

I was hoping there was going to be an increase in quality over the Audigy, just moving up to the X-Fi range and I have to say this card has blown my socks off. The quality of the sound produced is absolutely shocking, its like someone has cleared the wax from my ears and I can hear properly! The clarity is amazing!

So far all I have had time to do, is play a couple of Star Wars mp3's ripped from the original soundtrack. It was like an orchestra in my bedroom. I can't wait to try a few games and more tracks later!!!

Anyone else got one yet, I got mine from MediaAtlantic: http://www.mediaatlantic.com/auzentech

I am well chuffed so far!!! :clap:

2. thelawns

thelawns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Ok, so all day today I have been reading up on this Op-Amp malarky. This card already has the LM4562NA Op-Amp on board but is there anything better? Perhaps I should enjoy it as it is first. :rolleyes:

I have also been looking at speakers but as I already have a Creative Gigaworks THX 5.1 set, I think I am being a bit silly... especially as I have no room for 2 more speakers to make the 7.1!!! :rolleyes:

3. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    has it got the LM4562NA Op-Amp onboard or is it just possible to put one of them in?
    I couldn't work it out from the blurb on their site (I know they picture one but someone said it didn't actually have them). So I cancelled my pre-order and got a Meridian that can have Op-AMp upgrades on all 8 channels (which I did:thumbsup:)

4. thelawns

thelawns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    This is the reply I had from Auzentech support:

------------------

The OPAMP for front is LM4562 and the one for others is OPA2134.

Compatible specification of OPAMP for front channel.
    - DUAL
    - STEREO
    - DIP type
    - 8Pin

It is up to you to decide which model would be the most suitable for your needs, but we generally recommend the LM4562. (http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM4562.html)

There are various OPAMPS which is compatible with Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1.

OPA2134, OPA2107, LT1024, JRC5532, KA4558, LF353, LM833, TL072, LM358, LM741, AD708, OPA132, OPA134, OPA604, OPA637, AD797, AD811, AD846, AD843, LT1028, LT1115, NE5534 , NE5532, NJM2114, JRC4580, AD712, OPA2132, OP275, OPA2604, LM4562

The price of each OPAMPs are different and the quality is greater as the price normally.

---------------------

I think i'll just leave it as it is!!!

5. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    yep, I would it sounds great and TBH it's only the fronts that are going to benefit.
    I've got some downloaded music from Linn Records that's studio master quality that's 24 bit 88.1Khz sounds great.
    The prelude "only" goes up to 96Khz where as the Meridian does 192Khz, but I've heard most HD movies will only come with 24/96 so this extra is probably worthless.

6. dogbert

dogbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    That's by far the weakest link in your HiFi chain, not the OpAmps.

7. thelawns

thelawns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    In my Hifi chain yes, for PC speakers no! Granted they aren't the best PC speakers now either. I am intrigued to know what you'd recommend though? (without buying amps and other seperate type gubbins) Bear in mind, I use my PC primarily for gaming when I have the opportunity and also playing mp3's if i'm milling about the house... :hiya:

8. dogbert

dogbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I recommend you keep the soundcard the way it is. Changing the OpAmps wouldn't have any measurable effect.
    edit: dogber1=dogbert, I really should manage my accounts in a more effective way.

9. thelawns

thelawns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    No I meant what you'd recommend speakerwise! Never mind... ;)

10. Leporello

Leporello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there Friends,

Tomorrow I shall receive my Auzentech Prelude. Recently I've been using the onboard sound games, music etc, previously I had an Audigy2zs which I never really learned to like. What with driver issues and conflicts with other software, I abandoned it.

My onboard sound is not too bad but I'm fairly certain that I'll get better sound with the Prelude. My OS is XP SP2. For convenience I use a coaxial digital between my PC and my Denon AV system and was planning to use the same connection on the Prelude. However, I understand that for the time being, there are problems using the digital connection as DTS has yet to be implemented in the drivers. I've read through this thread and many others to try to understand what exactly this means in real world terms.

So at last to my questions...

Will I be able to run the digital connector between my PC and Denon 5.1 system and get 5.1 sound output?

If yes, what limitations will the absence of DTS impose on the sounds in games, music playback, watching DVDs, watching digital TV?

Will the Prelude provide less all round functionality than my Intel Sigmatel onboard sound?

Please forgive my rather primitive knowledge of these things but the more I read the less I understand. Thank you for your attention.

11. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Will I be able to run the digital connector between my PC and Denon 5.1 system and get 5.1 sound output?

Yes.

If yes, what limitations will the absence of DTS impose on the sounds in games, music playback, watching DVDs, watching digital TV?

I've not heard of any limitations, if the game, DVD etc has a DTS track the Prelude will play it. If you mean DTS Connect then I don't think you are likely to use it much if at all to be honest, its more a gimmick than something you need (or want).

Will the Prelude provide less all round functionality than my Intel Sigmatel onboard sound?

No.

Go here for more information on the Prelude than you can shake a stick at!
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26 :thumbsup:

Paul

12. thelawns

thelawns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    PaulB, your link doesn't work?

13. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Hmm, ok, try it now and do a "search this forum" in the Home Theater Computers forum for Prelude .

Thanks
    Paul

14. Bagger

Bagger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Yes but not yet.

If you buy it now then you cant do 5.1 straight out of the box.
    On their website it says the updated drivers to support DDL and DTSc will be available Q4 and Q1 2008 respectively .
    Ive emailed them and they project the driver for DDL to be early November.

15. Leporello

Leporello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I installed the Prelude this morning without incident. I'm a little puzzled!! I get sound from all my speakers in games, digital tv and listening to the radio and MP3s. I loaded the MOH demo and on the options page there's a "test 5.1 speakers." option. Using this test my speakers all worked in the correct sequence and at correct volumes.

I know I'm not getting EAX effects but apart from that everything seems great. I can hardly wait for DTS to be implemented so that I'll learn what I'm missing.<<G>>

Oh! and I'm delighted with trouble free installation and performance of the Prelude. I haven't yet played with the various modes yet.

Thanks everyone for your courteous and helpful replies.

16. Bagger

Bagger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Sorry should have elaborated more, it cant 5.1 do over the digital ( optical or coaxial ) I assume you are connected up via the analogue connections.

had another email yesterday

17. God's Toy

God's Toy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Guys, am I the only one?

I got one of these but I think I have to return it. I'm getting the pops and all the crap audio that came with the Creative X-fi's ... Kind of angry now as I really was hoping this was the answer.

:lease:
    Any of you having probs yet? Did any of you have an X-fi before this? I have sent a ticket to Auzentch but they just said the basic reply back to me and didn't really help at all.
    my PC is :CPU E6600 core 2 duo, OS: Vista 32, RAM 4GB, GFX 8800, Mobo Abit with NVIDIA 650i chipset, me SAD :( as it's the typical spec that are having problems with creative cards

I've got about 4 days left to decide if I'm going to return it to overclockers, I really don't want to but if it's not going to work in Vista I have no choice.​

18. thelawns

thelawns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I assume you have the latest patch from the Auzentech driver downloads section? The most recent one was added only last week, 27/9 I think? That has a 4gb fix on it...

http://www.auzentech.com/site/download/updates.php

My PC is :CPU 3.4ghz 950D, OS: XP Pro, RAM 3GB, Mobo Asus with NVIDIA Nforce 4 chipset...

19. God's Toy

God's Toy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply, Yep I got that patch as soon as I put the card in BUT it didnt do anything for me. I think that patch is for 64Bit vista not the 32 but I loaded it up anyway just to test.

20. thelawns

thelawns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Right. Well I know when I initially installed mine, their were a few crackles and pops when I loaded Battlefield 2142. I changed the sound settings in the game and its fine now. I think I initially used Entertainment mode instead of Game mode, I don't know how much of a difference that actually made though.

Another thought is not to have all the volume sliders way up to 100%, try 90%?

If you haven't done so already, try turning off all the extras like the EAX, Crystalizer and turn them back on one at a time? Bit of trial and error testing really...

I notice for Vista, you need to run the Alchemy software, is that correct? Maybe a new version of that, which is due sometime soon by the look of it will sort it out!

21. Leporello

Leporello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please don't misunderstand my intentions in this response but I think that I do have 5.1 sound. Perhaps my Denon AV receiver is doing the decoding? All my speakers work as normal, including the sub-woofer and the DTS light shows in the display of the Denon.

Perhaps I'm failing to understand something?

22. God's Toy

God's Toy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for reply,​

Yep I've gone and tested it with and without EAX and Crystalizer and it was still there. One thing I did find was the &#8216;noise' was only on coaxial!..., If I used optical I didn't get it at all BUT the sound would cut in and out for no reason and then my amp would display 96Klz and not the 48Klz I had set it too. (I had to set windows to output only at 48KLz as it's the most the amp can handle for 5.1... so Sony say anyway) when I go into windows to see if it's still set to 48Klz I find it is so that does not help me.​

What I'm going to do later on is put this card into my backup XP PC and do all the tests you suggest, I hope to have a better understanding after that. After all it could be a broken card right?​

If I set the card to analog it's fine BUT my amp cant take a Analog 5.1 output only digital grr...

In the end its EAX 5.0 I really don't want to lose and yes I know MS have killed it in Vista I was kinda wishing Creative would find a way to have it back the way it was. No other card apart from Creative's own supports more than EAX1 and 2.​

Sorry for dragging this topic off a little.​

23. thelawns

thelawns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Its not off topic at all... thats what this thread is for.

Keep us updated on your findings later on then! :smashin:

24. thelawns

thelawns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    God's Toy, I just read this on the Auzentech webby:

Q: Why is there a popping noise during playback?
    A: Disable the onboard audio device (in CMOS menu) and update the motherboard chipset driver. Also try inserting the sound card into another PCI slot to for a secure IRQ resource.

Just for reference, my card is in the very bottom PCI slot, furthest away from the Graphics card and Processor...

25. Bagger

Bagger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Not at all taken the wrong way :)

I'm just going on the information that Auzentech website and emails are telling me.
    On the Input side of the display on your Denon does it show all 5 inputs plus sub.
    The amp will up mix to 5.1 from a 2 channel source ( which is all I thought the prelude outputs at the minute) This is how my 2307 works any way.
    What does the display read ? Dolby PL II or Dolby Digital.

Look like I maybe buying one sooner rather than later

26. God's Toy

God's Toy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

Back agin.

I am happy and sad right now as the card works 100% in my XP PC so I know the card is working as it should. Drivers went in and right away in coaxial and optical and analog it's outputting as it should with no brake up in sound or resetting to 96KLz... my god the sound is nice.. So I guess it's something on my Vista PC that stopping it from working, Yep I have turned off the onboard sound and moved to card to a spare PCI slot (only have two as rest are PCIe) but that didnt help. Mobo and chipset are the most up to date they have on the Abit website.

I'm going to use this PC tonight to fully test this card and to get an idea of how cool it will be when I get it fixed! Just hope the 5.1 Dolby Digital Live drivers sort the prob when they bring em out.

Thanks for your help, I guess it's one of those bugs that will be fixed over time...I hope!

27. Bagger

Bagger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    If I remember right crackles,pops on sound blaster cards could be caused by incorrect PCI latency.

Just had a quick Google and it looks like the X-fi suffers too with certain chip sets.
    might be worth looking into

28. God's Toy

God's Toy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yep your spot on, the Creative cards don't like some chipsets for whatever reason and this is why I have been using my Audigy 2 sound card as that worked with everything for years now. I cant adjust my PCI latency on this board or at least I have not found a way just yet. Creative have this problem going back over two years and they still have to find a way to fix it.

The Auzentech only uses the Creative main X-fi chip the rest is there own build, you can see why I felt this card would not suffer the same fate as the Creative's own cards but I was wrong.

Right now it's looking like I have to change my Motherboard in order to enjoy this card with Vista... or hope to GOD they find a fix soon.

card is still running 100% on XP by the way...

Once more thanks for your help guys :)

29. Bagger

Bagger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Matter of interest which mother board do you have ?

30. God's Toy

God's Toy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

it's the Abit Fatality FP-IN9 SLI with the Nvidia 650i chipset.