aux input on honda civic radio

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by micks_address, Jul 16, 2005.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hi folks,

i want to connect my mp3 player to the auxillary input of the radio in my honda civic. Its the 5 door SE version..(2005 reg ireland) the radio has an AUX button so i'm guessing there must be a line in somewhere? Would anyone be able to tell me how to take out the radio to have a look for the line in? Is a DIY job or should i be bringing it to a garage?

Cheers,

Mick

2. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hi folks,

After a bit of searching i came across the following device...

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=458

Its from a site in the states but i'd chancing it to see if it will work... anyone used anything like it before? i know there's a good chance it might not :(

Cheers,
    Mick

3. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,669
    Can't add anything but I'm looking to do the same on the missus' Jazz. So if you go for it I'd love to hear how you get on.

From what I understand of the manual, the Aux button on the HU is for selecting the Honda CD changer. That adapter presumably mimicks the changer.

4. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  5. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hi folks,

I've ordered the part from the states... a bit risky as it might not be compatible but i suppose when it arrives i'm going to have to try it out :)

would anyone be able to tell me how to remove the radio from my civic without doing any damage? as stated earlier its this years model

cheers,
    mick

6. benny.c

benny.c
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been using an adapter for my 2002 type-r from these people.

http://www.icd-ltd.com/ (based in Brum)

It's called the HONS3 (£60) and has an aux out. On my head unit you hit the CD button twice to cycle through to AUX

i fitted mine using these instructions http://civictype-r.co.uk/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=10563 on the typr-r forum and it only took 15mins (and i aint too mechanically minded). My local honda dealer gave me a price of £50 for fitting it.

Someone on the forum had orderd the unit you have from the states and it didn't fit. I don't know if all the uk civic range carry the same HU connects though.

hope this helps

7. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Thanks Benny - i've sent a mail to the guys in the states to cancel the order... just registered for the type r forum so waiting for the account to activate before i can see the link.....

cheers,
    mick

8. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    talked to the guys in icd and they are sending me the adapter.. its 47 pounds including postage.. its the honx3... they seemed sound and are 99% sure its what i need and will take it back if there's any hassle

9. benny.c

benny.c
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Try this link for taking your dash off, don't think you have to register.

http://www.twiglet.fotopic.net/show_collection.php?id=15972

Don't know what your fascia is like but on the type-r it's very thin. Although I did my own I wouldn't like to do it too many times.

You don't have to take the gear knob off as shown in the photo's by the way. Just let the lower half of the fascia dangle around the gear stick.

Benny

10. nigeloconnor

nigeloconnor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought an MP3 player from the U.S for my 02 Civic but the connections are different.. it seems US Honda\Acura are totally different to Hondas we get in ROI/UK.. The connection on the Mp3 player is a 14 pin rectangle connection whereas the AUX connection in the back on the factory stereo is totally different. If anyone has any idea of how i can get this connected i would be grateful.
    I have taken photos of both connections if anyone needs to see exactly what i am talking about..

Thanks,Nigel :confused:

11. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hi folks,

well i'm back off my holidays.. .i got the part from the guys in bristol on friday and following the directions here http://www.twiglet.fotopic.net/show...on.php?id=15972 i had the adapter fitted and evertying back in about 20 minutes... Now i have the hd5 connected to the car stereo and it rocks!

no more cd's in the car is bliss and the sound quality it pretty good also.. some older music and lower encoded stuff you have to crank up the volume a few notches but all in all a very worthwhile investment

only thing its a little tricky changing track while driving but luckilly i always have a co pilot on long journeys and playlist are the best solution for solo outings...

a very worthwhile job.... these things are bound to be the death of cd changers in cars. :) ..

Cheers for the help benny,
    mick

12. acarbutt

acarbutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi this is my first post :hiya:

Sorry I know I am a couple of years late! But I am looking to do as discussed above.

I would like to connect my mp3 player to my honda civic 2005. I have read the above links but cannot work out how the mp3 player connects to the HONS3 device. Do I need a special cable or is it just an audio line out cable from the headphone socket??

Thanks

Ant

13. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    depends on what mp3 player you have.. you need an line out cable that splits into two phono's one red, one white.. they connect to the phono inputs on the hons3 unit.. if you're mp3 player has a line out function then use that, otherwise you will have to crank up the volume to max to get the best out of it.. hope that helps a bit..

14. acarbutt

acarbutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perfect, I already have the cable with two phono so will go for it. All I need to do now is remove the interior dash! :eek:

Thanks

Will let you know how I get on!

15. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    just dont use to much brute force when taking it out.. there's no need.. or you might leave some marks you dont want to.. if you follow the instructions it will come out easy enough.. a while since i dont mine..