Aux Input Adapter For Renault

Hi Greg,

Just found this lead after a year of trying to find a solution.. The link in your message is no longer active. Can you help me out on this?
I have a 2005 Espace Initiale with the VDO CD navigation system. I've installed a Harmon Kardon Drive + Play through FM which sounds pourly. The option is to connect it through tulip connectors /stereo mini jack) to the auxilary input which is not active offcorse.
I don't want to give up the changer so I think the thing you and Karlmac have found is the way to go.
What is the essence of this link? Connecting through the carkit input?
Or do you know if the connect2 connector leaves the cd-changer working?
Sorry for eventually double questions, but without this link the story doesn't add up to me.
Thanks in advance

Rob

I'll do my best.

I believe that a Connect2 connector will prevent the original CD changer working. Cost loads as well (relatively).

However, if you have a Renault unit with the 'Aux' input (visible in the expert mode of the control unit) then the solution is as simple as a lead that plugs into the relevant pins of a expansion socket on the radio. The relevant pinout is reproduced in KarlMac's post, and amounts to three pins that are connected to the sleeve, ring and pin of a 3.5mm stereo jack. Not sure where the radio unit is in your car. In ours it was in the boot, so routing the cable was a bit of a pain - we took the easy way out and did it under the rugs.

The original (now disappeared) French site observed that a standard PC CR-ROM audio cable would fit. I chose that route and it has worked with no issues ever since. KarlMac chose to get the pucca Molex connector, which is clearly more secure, though not a standard stock item, so is hard to get.

Hope tat helps - if not ten let me know and I'll have to go and have a look at eth car to refresh my memory

Greg

HI Gregory,

Thanks for this follow-up. I think I now know were to look, under a grey cap. Found it!
But now the tricky question: There are three pins on the connector, but how is the grounding realized? One ground for both right and left channel, so I use pin 28, 29 and 30?
In is it placed to the right end or the left end of the connector, where left is the side of the cable insert?
Again much thanks as this will make our long holidaytrip a lot better than with the FM link.

Kind Regards

Rob Visscher

My wife is out with the Renault so I can't look now. But, you're right about the grounding. Pins 29 and 27 appear to be connected (vis. the relevant part of the pinout from KarlMac's original post below).

Pin 30 = +ve right channel AUX in
Pin 29 = Ground right channel AUX in
Pin 28 = +ve left channel AUX in
Pin 27 = Ground left channel AUX in

The CD audio connector had a socket, a gap and then two sockets, so I think what I use is pins 30, 28 and 27, but the idea is the same. And, though I can't be sure, I think that you can see the pin numbers somewhere on the connector - maybe at the ends, in tiny raised plastic. I don't recall having a similar issue of working out which end was which anyway, so I presume that they must have been visible. Will have a look later.

G

HI Greg,

This is really fantastic! Excellent sound! Many thanks.

BTW pin 30 is at the left side of the connector.

Kind Regards

Rob Visscher

I have a 2003 Renault Head Unit and 6 Disc CD Changer but would like to add an auxiliary input for another source of sound, eg. iPod, DVD etc.

I understand that an Auxiliary Input Adapter can be used to switch between the CD Changer and the aux device. Can anyone point me in the right direction for one that works with Renault equipment. Do Renault use their own socket designs or are they the same as Ford for example?

I'm not an audiophile so please keep things simple!

Many thanks. :thumbsup:

Only Renault radios that have the "Update List" markings have an Aux analog input - the Tuner list models dont! - both use the same CD changer input with SPDIF (including the cassette model) The AUX imput is available on the green mini iSO connector - these are quite hard to find but Halfords do do one for a blaupunkt remote stork addapter (£5) The blue plug is CD Changer and the yellow is for the remote display, note the tuner list uses seperate clock and data lines for display while the Update list radios use a 2 wire CAN interface - for this reason the 2 radios are not interchangable. Update List pinnout is (Green plug):
7 and 8 telephone audio input, pin 12 audio in return (commong signal GND), 10 input D, 11 input C. (D,C are probably french abbreviations for Left right). pin 9 is marked BLDJ_AUDIO maybe phone input audio switcing??

hope this helps?

The steering wheel controlls work with the Display - the display then talks with the radio, as far as im aware there is no adapter available that will do this??? Renault will soon be launching a USB and IPOD interface for all cars capable of taking a CD changer. and it is the nuts - USB (MP3) audio is digital all the way up to the DSP inside the radio via SPDIF, but Ipod being awkward will only allow analog audio from the player it is then digitised in the module up to the head unit - it still sounds good as the input is differential.

Hi,I am new to this site,can anyone help me with my problem,I have a renault espace initiale 2001/51 plate and it has a good oem pioneer 6 disc cd changer din size unit in the centre glovebox,the unit is controlled via the stalk and a pioneer handheld remote and on the remote there is a aux button,is there anyway one can use a mp3/ipod thru this input and is there a lead available to link this up?
I have tried taking out the changer to see if there is any aux inputs and cannot see any,the only lead is a din lead and a power lead going into this unit,
please can anyone help on his matter..............

Hi Grasmere,

Fast car, I used to own one before my current MkIV 2.0T Initiale.
But I'm sorry, for that car I do not know the solution. Hope someone else does...

Good Luck

Rob

Hello,

I've been through this thread several times and need some help if possible!

I've bought a mini-iso plug (well...bastardised an adaptor from halfords) but I'm struggling to get any sort of loud sound through, after wiring pins 10 and 11. I've wired these pins to a wire taken from an old set of headphones.

Does this have something to do with the grounding, and if so, any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Renault Megane with Update List btw...going away in a few weeks and need to connect my Sony Walkman to prevent me going insane :)

Thanks!

The green (6 pin mini iso) plug is for audio input on update list radios:
C1-20 denote the pins on all 3"lego" type MINI ISO when connected as one. C1-6 are for the display (yellow) C13-20 are for the CD changer (blue)

Pin C7 telephone audio +
Pin C8 Telephone audio -
Pin C9 BLDJ_AUDIO - not a clue? telephone mute maybe??
Pin C10 + Audio in D (droite)- Aux audio Right
Pin C11 + Audio in G (gauche) - Aud audio LEFT
Pin C12 - Audio stereo - Aux Audio GND

Wire your 3pin mini jack plug to pins C10,11 and 12

Hello,

I've been through this thread several times and need some help if possible!

I've bought a mini-iso plug (well...bastardised an adaptor from halfords) but I'm struggling to get any sort of loud sound through, after wiring pins 10 and 11. I've wired these pins to a wire taken from an old set of headphones.

Does this have something to do with the grounding, and if so, any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Renault Megane with Update List btw...going away in a few weeks and need to connect my Sony Walkman to prevent me going insane :)

Thanks!

C1-20 denote the pins on all 3"lego" type MINI ISO when connected as one. C1-6 are for the display (yellow) C13-20 are for the CD changer (blue)

Pin C7 telephone audio +
Pin C8 Telephone audio -

Hi,

I thought this instruction would do the trick.
But not..
I have an Espace 2006 with the radio unit in the boot and a CD-changer attached to it.
The CD is attached to the radio with the blue mini-iso, and there is an empty position for another iso next to it.
I assumed it was the green, but it seams to be the yellow instead.

I have a radio with an option in Expert mode to choose AUX, so I guess that there need to be an input.

I took a picture of the boot interface..

Anyone that can guide me to the AUX and how to connect to it?

Thanks

/Jonas

Attachments

• Kontakter Radio.jpg
    Kontakter Radio.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 17,290
  • Kontakter Radio2.jpg
    Kontakter Radio2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 26,041
Last edited:
hi, I am new in this forum and I want some help If I can use this Renault USB/MP3 Interface Model V*::*RENAULT*::*XCarLink in my Renault Laguna 2004 with the tuner list radio - CD ?
Thanks in advance

Looks like it will work as it has a picture of the tuner list cabasse stereo under compatability (iirc these were fitted to higher spec 02-05 lagunas with sat nav)

Seems quite expensive though :eek:

I have a connects2 to ipod adaptor that works perfectly (in my 02 Laguna Sports Tourer) - check connects2.com for other connectors available.

Alternatively, you might want to upgrade your stereo and then get a connects2 (or equivalent) stalk adaptor - lets you keep your display and steering wheel controls :thumbsup:

Hi,

I thought this instruction would do the trick.
But not..
I have an Espace 2006 with the radio unit in the boot and a CD-changer attached to it.
Hi, I have just got a Grand Espace, with the CD changer in the boot. I am right to assume that the head unit is likely to be there as well? I haven't had a good poke around yet.

Mark Mac

Pin C7 telephone audio +
Pin C8 Telephone audio -

Hi I'm the new boy here lol. I have been looking thro the threads or wot ever you call them and I am looking to fit my iPhone to my Renault espace 2005 2.2 dci auto with the head unit and the cd changer in the boot, I also see I have the aux on my heads up display when I change from fm to cd the get the aux up so dose that mean I could fit a phone jack in to the aux port. If so how do I know what pin number Is what if I have to make this my self. Sorry for the multible questions I just like to know what am doing and not to keep pestering ppl.

Cheers

oh p.s I think the head unit is a kenwood radio.

The Aux connection is not difficult to make once you know how, the most difficult bit is routing a cable from the front of the car all the way to the AMP in the boot. The previous links I posted to information on this problem are now broken as our website was updated some time ago.

Here is the new link, this document contains all the information you will need and some that you won't unless you are trying to connect your DVD player to the AUX in as I did.

http://www.ktechplastics.co.uk/imag...al/Renault/more info on the red connector.doc

Thanks very much. Stupidly, forgot to put the info in - the Espace is October 04 (54 reg). It is an Initiale model, with the head unit radio actually in the boot, and a domestic style infra-red remote in the front (only the French!). It appears like the Aux is enabled with a sequence that is in the manual (basically sets whether it appears in the source cycle or not). I'll try a local car hi-fi shop for the plug.

Cheers

Greg

I found this thread after a reasonable trawl of Google for help on replacing the OEM audio for a November 03 (54 reg) Renault Espace Initiale. My car also has (had) the remote tuner amp unit with dash based info display and controls. After buying the car, I realised that the tuner amp unit was missing. I can't seem to find a replacement, but would also consider an after market system, if it could you use the dash display and controls, and would support an integrated i-pod. Can anyone help? Thanks.

ok so after reading this i think i grasp it, i havnt even looked at the stuff in the car yet, trying to get my head round the theory.

i have a renault espace 2000 (V Reg) it has the standard stereo (under the passenger seat) and a CD multichanger in the boot. i would like the ability to use my IPOD AND Bluetooth handsfree kit with the stereo, so if i'm correct this is how it should work;

On one connector
Pin C7 telephone audio + = + Audio from BT handsfree kit
Pin C8 Telephone audio - = - Audio from BT handsfree kit
Pin C9 BLDJ_AUDIO = Telemute from handsfree kit

On another connector
Pin 30 = +ve right channel AUX in = Right on 3.5mm Connector
Pin 29 = Ground right channel AUX in = Common gnd on 3.5mm Connector
Pin 28 = +ve left channel AUX in = Left on 3.5mm Connector
Pin 27 = Ground left channel AUX in = Common Gnd on 3.5mm Connector
Pin 26 = +ve to indicate presence of AUX signal to the system = any 12v Feed.

Is that correct?

Cheers for your help guys.

Secondly, where might i find the connectors for my espace, like i said its the 2000 model with the hidden system.

Thanks again.

Hi
I got a connection (Green) it has only 3 wires (Top 3)
Green Plug - red
Top 3 - black -white
Bottom 3
Yellow Plug

When I plug it into the back of the radio (next to the yellow) nothing happens. I went into expert mode but it still didn't show up. Can any one help.
:lease:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom