Aux cable noob

Hugohifi

Novice Member
Hello there

I have been trying to connect a Samsung plasma TV to my pretty old domestic hifi. I tried to buy an auxiliary cable from amazon (red/white audio cable) but was delivered a red/black one.

Really I was just wondering if this was the wrong cable, or if I'm missing something else?

May also be worth mentioning that when I was taking the photos to post I heard audio crackling from the red cable at the TV end, but not the hifi end. Oh and I've set the hifi to the auxiliary setting also, so it's not that.

20190925_174548.jpg

Attachments

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The coloured hoods (Black and Red in your case) on the 2RCA cable have no affect on the type of signal it will pass.

Your picture shows an Input on the TV so that is never going to work if you are trying to get sound Out of the TV into a sound system.

What connections are marked as 'Output' on the TV?

Joe

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
It's likely the only audio outputs on the TV will be a headphone socket and digital audio out - usually optical. A very few have an audio output on the Scart socket. It will be marked with a doubled ended arrow if this is the case.

You probably need a mini-jack to phono cable to work from the headphone socket or an optical to analogue adapter to work from the digital output.

Hugohifi

Novice Member
Ah yes, well spotted.

Okay cool. Good idea on the optical to analogue adapter. Would an HDMI to RCA work also?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
There's no such thing as an HDMI to RCA cable. That doesn't stop people selling them, but it won't work.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Unless you have an HDMI socket marked as ARC plus a suitable ARC enabled audio de-embedder forget about using HDMI, as noiseboy72 says HDMI to RCA cables are best avoided at all costs.

Optical to 2RCA will do the trick and will cost around £30 new.

Joe