Autotrader - What is the con

bighfishing

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi,

i currently have my BMW Z3 for sale on autotrader, i keep getting these dodgy looking emails which im quite sure are a con, but i can't work out what the con is, anyone got any ideas please.

this is a copy of the most convincing email, others were worse than this.

The following customer is interested in the vehicle you are advertising on
Auto Trader UK - Buy & Sell New & Used Cars, Car Loans, Car Insurance

Received: 13 June 2010 03:57

Customer Details:
NAME: MR johnny bryan
TELEPHONE:
EMAIL: [email protected]

Vehicle Details:
MAKE: BMW
MODEL: Z3
PRICE: £5950

HELLO SELLER MY NAME IS JOHNNY BRYAN. I SAW YOUR ADVERT ON THE INTERNET AND I REALLY APPRECIATE IT AND I WILL LOVE TO BUY IT FROM YOU, SO CAN YOU JUST TELL ME THE CONDITION OF THE GOODS AND THE LAST PRICE SO THAT I will QUICKLY MAKE THE ARRANGE TO PAY IF OFF BY BANK DRAFT, I AM BUYING IT FOR MY BELOVED WIFE FOR A SURPRISE GIFT FOR HER,BECAUSE I AM PETROLEUM ENGINEER CURRENTLY ON A RING OFFSHORE JUST TRY AND FEED ME BACK WITH THE CONDITION AND THE LAST PRICE......I WILL NEED YOU TO GIVE ME YOUR ADDRESS AND THE NAME YOU WANT ON THE BANK DRAFT SO I CAN SEND THE BANK DRAFT FOR THE PAYMENTS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.. PLEASE NOTE I WILL ADD THE PICK UP AGENT FEES WITH THE BANK DRAFT I WILL TO YOU,THAT THE PICK UP AGENT WILL COME FOR THE PICK UP AS SOON AS I HAVE MADE THE PAYMENTS,I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO TALK TO YOU ON PHONE BUT I HAVE TOLD YOU EARLIER ON AM RIG OFFSHORE,I WORK MAINLY OR WORK MAINLY OFFSHORE, OUR PHONE IS DOWN ON THE RIG RIGHT NOW DUE TO BAD WEATHER, WE CAN ONLY COMMUNICATE WITH OUR BASE FOR NOW. THANKS AND I WILL BE EXPECTING YOUR ADDRESS.....SO FILL THE INFORMATION LIKE THIS

NAME....................

ADDRESS.................

STATE...................

POST CODE..............

COUNTRY................

LAST PRICE.............

TEL NUMBER............

I WILL ENSURE THAT YOU RECEIVE PAYMENT AT LEAST IN 6 WORKING DAYS.
AS REGARDS THE PICK UP,AS SOON AS YOU CONFIRM TO ME THAT THE
BANK DRAFT IS CLEARED TO YOUR ACCOUNT, I WILL INFORM MY AGENT SHIPPER
TO COME FOR THE COLLECT IMMEDIATELY. CONSIDER IT SOLD TO MY TO ME.

I WILL LOOK FORWARD TO HEAR FROM YOU SOONEST....

Con, Con, Con, Con, CON.

They are just gleaning a name address and telephone number to link with your email.

thanks for that, iv'e been wondering what the con is for weeks now. ive just been ignoring them but i got curious to find out what the con is, i new av forums would help, you seem to be able to find out anything on here.

thanks, paul.

Yup, known fraud. They send on 'extra' for the shipping, the bank draft is fraudulent so they take the money back but the money you've passed onto the 'shipping agent', more likely his partner is still your money and you won't see it again.

Have you posted it up on Pistonheads? looked for a BMW or Z3 owners club maybe? better places to sell than Autotrader IMO!

another scam that could catch you out, giving your personal details together along with the car details they could apply for a new key for the car aswell , you go to bed one night expecting someone to come view the car in the morning little did you know they drove off with it during the night :(

the scams are endless when it comes to luxury goods :thumbsdow

It's the boys from Lagos.
A common trick is to pay in a way that appers in your account but hasn't fully cleared because the 'buyer' is worknig abroad then the clearance fails a week or two later after a 'friend' has collected that care from you.

Yup, known fraud. They send on 'extra' for the shipping, the bank draft is fraudulent so they take the money back but the money you've passed onto the 'shipping agent', more likely his partner is still your money and you won't see it again.

Have you posted it up on Pistonheads? looked for a BMW or Z3 owners club maybe? better places to sell than Autotrader IMO!

yeah, its been on autotrader for six weeks now and only one bit of interest, i was going to try ebay next but might give pistonheads a go, or i may just keep the car. i hate the the autotrader website, its too slow and full of advertising. while ive been looking for a golf, ive been using it as little as possible so i suppose other people will be the same, once ive eventually scrolled past two pages ive had enough and thats when i know what car i want, if i was open to lots of different options i really couldn't be bothered to search for them, ebay is much quicker.

Hello Bigfinkinz, my father iz the king of borkosanze. We are very rich. I want to buy the BMX from you for my father. I can not deel in small amounts of money so i will need to deposet $20,000 US dollars in to your account. You can then send me back the $14,000 when the check clears in your account.
I will then sent my personel driver to come and pick my bmx up from you....
Hope to here from you very soon
HRH kimgonzale shyramook prinze of Borkosanze.

dont want you going to work tired, you'll have the emporer after you because you might become a bad tradseman :D

Last edited:
Thats the last time i will fit some worktops and repair some guttering for you :D In fact you still owe me the £7,200 for the work.. :smashin:

John..

Sorry i only take cash, im a dodgy tradesman. I did give you a 6 day guarantee for the work if you paid me cash. Im guessing the blue-tack is still holding the guttering up? Also that big gap in the worktop joint is for expansion purposes and to let any water spills run away. All kitchen fitters do this...

John..

Advance Fee Fraud. Lots of people fall for this, if you can report them to Autotrader

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom