Automation Solution in a Canal Boat!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by big john 1983, Nov 29, 2010.

1. big john 1983

big john 1983

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi guys,

I have a good friend who 'modernises' Canal Boats.

Firstly....

He has a TV lift installed in the boats which when down is disguised as a mirror.

I have thought and thought about automating this, but can't think of a solution.

He uses a typical 'out of the box' 5.1 home cinema solution where the DVD player is the amp..........therefore no 12V trigger.

I would like that when you switch the TV on (through an 'eye) the TV automatically pops up, so there is no need for two remotes or the manual switch.

Is the Harmony remote the only answer, or is can anyone think of anything else?

Secondly...

We have also talked about a permanent Sky solution, but can't think of anything suitable..........as the dish has to be constantly taken down when moving (height restrictions) and adjusted to suit the position when moored.

Is there a type of aerial/dish that can adjust itself and small/discreet enough to be up all the time?

Many thanks in advance,

John :thumbsup:

2. Sanders79

Sanders79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,020
    Would something like this be any good for the dish issue?

Also, you can get sockets that can switch power on/off for devices based on the power status of a "master" device, e.g. when the TV is switched off, all other devices are switched off completely, not just on standby. Look for "intelliplug" on Amazon and you will get lots of products that might help with the lift. (I have posted about these products many times recently, so I feel I should clarify that I do not work for the company that makes them :)) If you could wire it up so "power on" means the lift is up and "power off" lowers it - any good?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  3. big john 1983

big john 1983

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Thanks Sanders79!

The dish solution looks great!

With regards to the plug situation, sounds good, but i would have to make it so that the actuator lifts as soon as it has power as currently you manually have to activate it (i.e using switch or remote).......any thought?

Cheers

John

4. Sanders79

Sanders79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,020
    Oooh, that's stumped me then! I guess a Harmony remote would be an easy fix - you could include the actuator in the activities that involve the screen, so when switching to a "watch DVD" activity, for example, all of the necessary commands are sent to all the relevant kit. Take a look in the remotes forums, you can do just about anything with Harmonies, I am a big fan.

5. big john 1983

big john 1983

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
  6. Sanders79

Sanders79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,020
    No worries - glad to help. Let us know how you get on :)