1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automation newbie

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by dapex, Oct 7, 2005.

1. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I am a total newbie to home automation and to be honest I dont even know what I want to automate but it sounds like fun. I like the thought of being able to control things over the internet if needed (lights etc if i am late home)

Is X10 the one to be looking into?? what else should I look at...

What exactly does x10 do???

Cheers in advance

2. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    There are loads of systems available c-bus, celestron ect. X10 is perhaps the poor relation its been around for years and isnt concidered as adaptive. The main advantage to x10 is the fact that it does not require any aditional wiring (other systems need cat5 cable). I have found that x10 can be made to do a lot more than would appear at face value but often it takes a bit of lateral thinking to make it do what you want. If you want internent control you will need some software and a computer module but that will give you much better scope as to what the system can do.
    As to what it can do turn on lights via rf same with appliances can be linked to your alarm system ect. Best bet is have a look at www.letsautomate.com and www.simplyautomate.com .