• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Automation help?

a l e x

Distinguished Member
Afternoon all,

I've just discovered IFTTT which I think is absolutely brilliant so considering adding to my Nest thermostat / Alarms. I like the look of the smart things stuff so will probably add that. The door sensors etc look useful. One thing I would want is lighting... Ideally I'd just get Hue stuff but we've got multi bulb light fittings all over so they're not suitable. Are there any decent switches that can be tied in to the whole Smart Things / IFTTT.

Thanks.

AliZ4C

Established Member
Good luck! I have been in the same dilemma really like the idea of smartthings with the single app etc but would rather go down the route of light switches than bulbs. Only thing I have found in the UK is LightwaveRF which switches look nice but to get to work with smartthings is a bit of a hack and doesnt look very quick and only one way feedback (Lightwave RF Integration).

Only other switch solution I have found that looks good and I think will work with smartthings is this zwave switch but not cheap... would be cheaper to go for a relay behind a normal switch..... Z-Wave MCO Touch Panel Switch - Two Load | Wall Dimmers and Switches | Lighting and Sockets | Z-Wave | Vesternet

kevshed

Established Member
I just started playing with the Belkin wemo gear, that now has IFTTT support .. Take a look at that

Alex Brock

Established Member
I can highly recommend fibaro, the dimmers are a much better solution than Hue or the like. The switch is still useful for one thing, and you can add so much more to the system such as security, fire alarms, heating control etc.

Alex Brock

Established Member
Fibaro do an rgbw controler for use with led strips which works brilliantly, and there are rgbw bulbs available from zipabox, but the main problem remains. If you use a wireless controlled bulb you have to leave the switch that feeds it permanently on, or it won't work at all. For a smart home I belive anyone (eg guests) should be able to walk in and control the lights etc, not just the people with the app on their phone.

Edit to clarify; the rgbw led strip control can behave like a normal light with a switch, and also work from app control regardless of switch position.

Alex Brock

Established Member
Like Aclass says, a combination of traditional switch, a fibaro dimmer or rgbw controler and a sensor will give you a massive amount of options when programing a lighting circuit to be smart.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom