1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automatically splitting scenes in Ulead

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by thebrummy_one, Nov 9, 2004.

1. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Chaps,
    I am using a trial version of Ulead Videostudio to complete a project. I have already used a trial of Pinnacle studio 9 and want to compare them to find the better solution.
    Is there a way in Ulead of having the program automatically split large pieces of video into smaller sections? (either during or after capture).
    With Pinnacle, the capture tool lets you select the time per clip then automatically breaks down any long clips into smaller ones. (This can be de-selected if it doesn't suit your way of working). I found it helpful to work on smaller clips of 5 mins each. This way the couple of hours of video didn't seem so imposing and allowed me to set a pace of work.
    I appreciate that I could just work on 5 mins of the video and just note down where on the time line I had worked upto, but I have tried this and uncomfortable working like this.
    Thanks, Cliff :lease:

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes there are numerous options in UVS8 to split your Video.

First if you are capturing as DV from a firewire connection then under the 'Capture' tab in the panel on the left labelled 'Capture Settings' click to tick the box next to 'Split by scene' - When you now capture your video it will be split automatically according to changes in the timecode on your video.

If you are capturing as .mpg this will not work so if you wish to use .mpg then capture your complete video first (also use this if you have already captured your video as .avi (DV)) then under the 'Edit' tab put your complete video in the timeline/storyboard and then in the pane up the left side of the preview screen click on 'Split By Scene' this will split your video into scenes based on "Significant changes" between scenes. so is a bit random where it splits.

You can of course also use the 'Batch Capture' option and using this you run through the whole video first while it is still in your camera and tell UVS8 just which scenes you need to capture and where to split them - then when you click capture UVS8 runs through your tape transferring only the bits you need to your PC

3. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for these BJC, The problem I have is that I took two pieces of video that have a continuous time code and no "significant change" in the subject. I was hoping there was so sort of time driven tool that chopped after a given time. (like in Pinnacle)

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well you can use a time constant - if on the 'Capture' tab you set a time in the 'Duration' box at the very top left corner of the screen and then click 'Capture Video' it will capture for the time set in that box and then stop, - you will then have to click 'capture video' again to capture the next timed piece.

5. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks, that sounds like the best I can achieve. I will have a bash at that.

6. zippy

zippy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another method of working is to use multiple copies of the single clip as follows:

With the "Edit" tab selected drag the clip to the empty timeline to start the project. Watch the clip, or move the cursor on the time bar under the preview window, and select a point in time to mark as the end of the first scene. Press the scissors icon to the right of the time bar; this will terminate the current clip at this point and insert a new copy of the clip on the timeline with the cut point as it's starting point. Repeat the process until the entire orignal clip has been split into scenes.

The only problem with this method is duplication of footage if you edit the start and end points of the cut scenes. Therefore it might be worth jotting down a list of times at which the cuts take place.

I have tried this method myself on a clip of about 1/2 hour and it was surprisingly efficient.
    Zippy

7. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thebrummy_one:

Ulead must have a more intelligent scene splitting option for when working with DV. This, like Pinnacle and MoveiMaker, does NOT analyse the DV footage for "significant changes' - it simply splits the scenes accoring to the index markers that were written to the tape each time you pressed the record button on the camcorder. All my tapes are deliberately "blacked" with continuous timecode before use, and Pinnacle (and the Ulead demo I had installed recently) captures the scenes perfectly (on index markers).

You should only need to do the more crude "significant changes" detection or splitting by duration when capturing from an analogue source.

Incidentally, I rejected Ulead after trying the demo because of the annoying 0.5 - 1 second delay before it starts playback on the timeline. Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus responds instantly, and its capturing is so much more easily setup and controlled.

8. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Folks,
    Thanks for all the pointers. A couple of things, firstly, what i recorded was a copy of an old vhs tape, hence continous taping.
    I used Pinnacle and as I said, it had a tool where on capture, you could specify a time limit per clip. It would then captue my hour of tape into 20 x 5 minute clips. This was useful and I was hoping that Ulead also had a similar tool. I never got a chance to find out however as when I loaded up the trial version of Ulead it had already time expired!!! Must have been driven by date rather than time installed.
    So I'm still a little baffled. I liked Pinnacle but it was very unstable and I never had a decent run of Ulead.

9. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried Ulead and Pinnacle demos extensively before buying, and Pinnacle won. Note that I didn't WANT to buy Pinnacle, because of all the bad press about version 8 which was an awful no-go area of bugs. Version 9, thankfully, is bug free on my machine provided you don't switch on the "Use hardware rendering" option! There's very little point anyway, as software rendering is just as fast.

Ulead was slow and I didn't like the obstructive interface. Just making it split my DV capture files into scenes annoyed me, as it wasn't instantly obvious how to do it. Then after every edit, it took about a second between pressing play and the preview window actually starting to play the timeline. It drove me mad! At least Pinnacle starts immediately, even while it is background rendering an effect.

Pinnacle is generally considered to be pretty stable now in version 9, so does your machine have the horsepower and RAM to let it fly?

10. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have to admit, Pinnacle was high up on my list. I wanted to give the others a run out though so that I satisfied my own doubts. I'm trying out an Itervideo package at the mo.
    My doubts about Pinnacle, which I have gathered form various postings is that it can be quite unstable. I must admit to finding this so on my system when running the trial version. (pobably 3 crashes per hour!! :blush: )
    I did like the interface though and capturing was a dream.
    As for the white box, well, it's a custom built dream machine :devil: Quicker that an Aston Martin DB8 being towed by concorde. More memory than my wife ;) and a HDD the size of Belgium!!
    So I think it should handle a iddy biddy program like Pinnacle :smashin:
    Then again, I could always get Vegas...