Automatically change Denon AVR Source on LG CX

expos81

Established Member
Reaction score
I have commented within a general Denon 2700h post regarding my issues, but it kind of got lost between lots of other general comments so I am hoping doing a post specific to this may help with the issues I am having.

I have a Denon 2700h and an LG CX. I have my Shield into my AVR and also my Sky box too.

When I am using my LG remote and select 'Sky TV', from the sources on my TV the AVR does not automatically switch source, and I have to use my Denon remote to select it each time. However, when I select the 'Shield' from the sources this automatically switches the AVR from whatever was showing previously, so I must have the setup wrong for it to not do this for the Sky HDMI.

Here are a couple of photos showing the input and HDMI settings on the AVR.

Here is a video showing the problem. avr-issues.mov
You can see that when I select the Sheild the AVR automatically switches to the correct source, but when I select Sky, then the AVR does not. The time you see 'Sky TV' on the AVR is because I am pressing the button on the Denon remote.

Attachments

• 20210401_140824.jpg
    20210401_140824.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 172
  • 20210401_140805.jpg
    20210401_140805.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 225
What you are experiencing is normal. Use the AV receiver to switch sources if the source devices are connected to the AV receiver. I'd not rely upon HDMI CEC to do this for you.

Why do you need or want to use the TV to switch sources?

If wanting automation then you'd be better off looking at something like one of Logitech's Harmony remotes as opposed to using HDMI CEC to facilitate this.

What you are experiencing is normal. Use the AV receiver to switch sources if the source devices are connected to the AV receiver. I'd not rely upon HDMI CEC to do this for you.

Why do you need or want to use the TV to switch sources?
I use the LG magic remote for my Shield, Sky, and the Installed apps on the TV so control it all using this, I only use my Denon to change the source.

So, ideally, I would want the AVR to switch sources when I select each one using the magic remote, rather than using 2 remotes.

I am looking at the Logitech Remotes and the 350 or Companion may do the job, I do not think I need to spend the money on the Elite, but the digital buttons do look nice in comparison. Have you used any of those?

The function that you want to utilse is heavilly dependant upon HDMI CEC (Control). Ensure that HDMI Control is actually turned on onboard the SKY STB. Even if it is, HDMI CEC is more often problematic and causes more issues than it resolves. I'd not become dependant upon it or want to urilise it more than you really have to. If unable to get the AV receiver to switch itself to the SKY source then I'd suggest it to be an issue with the way in which SKY have implimented HDMI Control onboard their STBs or an issue with the HDMI handshake between the AV receiver and the SKY boz. SKY don't have a very good track record as far as HDMI and Denon AV receivers are concerned.

The function that you want to utilse is heavilly dependant upon HDMI CEC (Control). Ensure that HDMI Control is actually turned on onboard the SKY STB. Even if it is, HDMI CEC is more often problematic and causes more issues than it resolves. I'd not become dependant upon it or want to urilise it more than you really have to. If unable to get the AV receiver to switch itself to the SKY source then I'd suggest it to be an issue with the way in which SKY have implimented HDMI Control onboard their STBs.
I have just tried connecting my Switch to it, and it does not automatically switch sources either, but I am not sure if this is possible anyway on the Switch. I looked in the settings on Sky and could not see anything about CEC controls, do you happen to know where this would be?

It's a Sky issue, especially if it's only happening when using Sky.

Sky doesn't behave the same way any of your other connected components will.

Via your TV, you can select any of the connected devices and that will initiate a power sequence of that device, it will not with Sky.

I looked in the settings on Sky and could not see anything about CEC controls, do you happen to know where this would be?

1. Press Home on a Sky Q remote, then select Settings, followed by Setup.
  2. Select Audio Visual, then make sure HDMI control setting is switched On.

I have just tried connecting my Switch to it, and it does not automatically switch sources either…

As I said, HDMI CEC isn't very reliable and you should become dependant upon it working.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom