1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automatic timer recording of Freeview on Panasonic DMRE95 HDD recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by flintstone, Jan 22, 2005.

1. flintstone

flintstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to AUTOMATICALLY record a sequence of Freeview programmes from a Sony VTX-D800U STB (or any other STB) to a Panasonic DMRE95 DVD/HDD recorder?

I asked Panasonic generally about timer recording of digital Freeview since this seemed to be a bit of a gap in the functionality of the recorder (and other recorders in their range).

I noted that the US version has an IR blaster but the UK version does not. The only way according to Panasonic is to use the Q-Link function and to rely on the timer function of a STB that supports Q-Link to automatically switch the DVD recorder on and start recording. But other than that they didn't make a recommendation.

Does this Q-Link function actually work? Has anybody successfully managed to properly record a sequence of different programmes on different channels at different times from a Sony VTX-D800U (or other STB) to the Panasonic?

My initial motivation for purchasing a DVD recorder was to transfer old archived 8mm and later digital video to DVD. However, it also seemed a great way to replace an aging VCR, more convenient (with a HDD) and better quality. But to replace the VCR, it really has to be able to record all TV broadcasts properly and that today must also mean digital broadcasts. The recorder comes with an analogue tuner but surely today there ought to be an easy digital capability?

Help please.

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As you have no replies yet: Pioneers have Auto Start which is the equivalent function to Panasonic External Link, and my Grundig Freeview box (2+ years old) and a Pioneer 420 'link' perfectly with multiple timer events set on the Freeview box. The method is to set the Freeview box timer then with the box in Standby (see below) set the DVD to External Link (Panasonic), Auto Start (Pioneer).

But there is a problem: If the DVD is in the auto start mode and you turn on the external box manually (e.g. to watch TV) then the DVD starts recording immediately because it is triggered form the box turning on. So you have to remember to turn off the recorder auto mode before you turn on the box or you get short bursts of recording while you fiddle around turning off the recorder - then you have to remember to set auto again.....

I gave up because of this and now set both timers. Obviously the DVD timer settings specify the Freeview box AV connection as the channel to be recorded.

3. flintstone

flintstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, that's really useful. I thought it would probably work OK, but the problem you mentioned hadn't occurred to me. Still, having to program two devices to record one programme seems awkward.

Surely by now the manufacturers should have come up with a simple interface to allow different boxes to talk to each other intelligently? After all, they all have on-board processors, all it needs is for the boxes to be able to communicate with a simple serial protocol. Quite unlike the PC world where there are standard interfaces that allow different bits of kit to interface (e.g. USB, PCI etc).

Anyway, in the absense of this capability, why don't Panasonic offer models with and without on board decoders? Can't be that difficult or expensive, given a stanalone decoder can cost as little as £50. This is a real step back from the days of old analogue VCRs which could just be programmed as standalone devices with their own tuners.

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you don't have the recorder yet, hang on a few months for machines with Freeview tuners. Toshiba may be first with RD XS34.
    The Sony 500(?) has Freeview, but no HDD.

5. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some have - Philips HDRW720 will control upto 3 devices at once

Ransak is convinced that the Q-link 'feature' is equally as effective :laugh:

Seriously though - couldn't you buy it a dedicated freeview tuner for £30

q-link it just for recording only

6. flintstone

flintstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which tuner did you have in mind for £30. Is the quality OK and does it have a decent EPG with timer?

Thanks for all the replies, I really impressed how useful these forums are.

7. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont have freeview, but i know there's few around from £30 - even Argos & currys

Signals digital so any will be fine - you need to get one with 2 scarts & a timer to trip the q-link - maybe post on a freeview forum

8. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I do it all the time with the same Sony digibox (or did before I got Viera which also has DVB record out).

Just select the prog to record from the Sony 800U guide. Connect Sony VCR out to Pana AV2 in. remember to set the E95 to 'external link' and the Sony box will trigger each recording automatically.

Only problem is that the Pana AV2 isn't Q-Link enabled (at least not my E85) so you can record the freeview prog only as composite video out from the Sony. Quality still looks excellent from decent Freeview signal.

Adrian