Automatic switching from TV to HDMI (Sony 40L4000 + PS3)

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by garygfx, Feb 9, 2009.

1. garygfx

garygfx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi. I read that the PS3 doesn't support HDMI auto channel switching so I'm wondering what people are doing to get around it? Apart from manually selecting the HDMI input from the TV's remote control are there any other options?

We use the PS3 to watch films in the living room and find it a step backwards having to flick channels from built-in Freeview to HDMI to watch a DVD/BD(compared to SCART auto switching). I bought a HDMI auto-switcher box but it didn't make any difference.

All of the HDMI options are 'on' from the TV's setup menu. I would like to take this opportunity to vent now. SONY, HOW COULD YOU BE DO STUPID!!! :mad:

Any advice or recommendations to automate this simple action are appreciated. Thanks.

Gary.

2. Digital Tench

Digital Tench
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +906
    You could try a learning / configurable remote such as a Harmony (I have one of those and they are excellent) or "all in one".

At this time there is no technical fix that will allow what you want without spending cash I'm afraid.

3. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Daft aint it? We have trusty old scart that auto swithced then we go digital and it isn't standard!!! Apprently the HDMI spec does not require auto-switching, but some tv/devices do support it, plus you have you Viera Link/BraviaSync or what every they are called.

Also I am not sure you can blame the PS3, if I recall, I am sure my PS3 auto-switched my Panasonic 26" LCD, but now I have a SONY TV it does not auto switch.

I just put up with the switching the EXT manually.

4. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    How would that work, they do not have BlueTooth do they?

5. stormy

stormy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Actually we can blame the PS3 (at least when it comes to connecting it to Sony equipment). My Sony RDR-HXD870 HD/DVD recorder has Sony Theatre Sync/CIC and works great with HDMI switching on my Bravia TV.

No idea why Sony decided not to implement it on the PS3, especially when the PS3 is supposed to sport a HDMI 1.3 port. I assume its a hardware issue as they would have quite easily fixed it if it was possible with firmware.

Very strange.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  6. garygfx

garygfx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I submitted this as a question to Sony via their website and the smart arse system then pointed me to a page that said this:

The PS3 will always have to be selected manually as it does not have any HDMI control feature.

This sounds like they have no intention to update the PS3 via a software update. Maybe HDMI control is a hardware-only feature beyond the reach of the PS3 firmware. I guess they will add this feature to a future hardware revision. (No good for millions of existing customers)

The only way I can get the TV to switch over to HDMI with 1 additional button push is to store the following sequence in a programmable remote:
    EXTERNAL SOURCE, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, ENTER.

Not ideal at all. I'm told that when I get SkyHD installed the little auto-switch box I got from eBay will automatically switch from Sky to PS3, assuming I'm watching Sky at the time and not built-in Freeview.

7. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,264
    i use an onkyo 605 amp,
    and set it so that when the amp came on, the tv(samsung) would change over to the hdmi channel

but can't remember how i did it.... and i guess your going to need the same amp.
    that way. i only need to turn two things on ps3/amp (which both are next to each other)

andrew

8. Digital Tench

Digital Tench
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +906
    Whilst you can't turn the PS3 on via IR, you can set the the remote to be a single button press to flip the AMP to the correct input and at the same time change the AV input on the TV.

Since you need a controller in your hands to play a game etc, it works because you can hit the PS button to flip on the PS3 goodness on :smashin:

9. Digital Tench

Digital Tench
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +906
    You enabled CEC (HDMI control) in the AMP and TV :thumbsup:

10. Pincho Paxton

Pincho Paxton
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    The Harmony will switch the TV to HDMI, and switch your amp to Blu Ray device, and it does save you a few button presses. But without additional help it can't control the pS3.

11. sp_harris

sp_harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    It is not the auto solution you are posting about, but I use a Harmony 525, press 'Play PS3' button, which turns sky off, dvd off, tv to HDMI input and switches amp to PS3 input all from 1 button. I then have to press PS button on PS3 controller.

Until HDMI auto switches like SCART your options seem to be a programmable remote or get an amplifier that handles all your video inputs and sends all outputs through 1 HDMI cable. Then when you change sound source on the amp it will also change the video input to the TV.

12. strumstrum

strumstrum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    yes it is annoying, how I have it is like this...

whenever I switch the TV on it is set to the HDMI the PS3 is in, Sky which is scart is off, if I turn Sky on it switches to that if I turn Sky off it goes back to PS3 HDMI. so all I have to do to get to PS3 is hit power on the Sky remote.