Automatic Screen Ratio Switching

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by jhkanguk, Nov 4, 2005.

1. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got Sky+ and Toshiba DLP TV 46WM48.

For some time, the TV automatically switched between 4:3 and wide screen depending on source format of channels.

Actually, it wan't like that from the beginning. It used to be fixed format whether 16:9 or 4:3 as set in TV menu. Different ratio format from Sky didn't force TV to change accordingly.

Then suddenly, TV started automatic switching and it lasted for several months.

And then again, it went back to original behaviour - fixed ratio regardless of source format.

'Scart Control' in Sky's 'Picture Settings' is ON.

Can anyone shed light on this?

2. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Have you changed Scart cable at all? One of the pins on the Scart (cannot remember which) sends the signal from the box to the TV to change the ratio - if you have then the connection on this pin may be missong/damaged.

Can't think of anything else. On my TV whatever ratio I select for a non-16:9 ration broadcast, it returns to that everytime it stops receiveing the w/s signal.

So sometimes if I have used a wide mode to stretch the Gamecube image (which doesn't send the signal) then the TV will stay in wide mode for all bpradcasts until I manually select 4:3/smart etc when watching 4:3 TV.

3. morganog

morganog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

jhkanguk

I am having the same prob with my 8 day old sky+ box and panny pv500 plasma!

I checked my scarts and their ok

Called sky today and had a massive row with the guy! He tried saying the fault was with my tv.
    Last resort i just unplugged my old digibox from upstairs and plugged it in downstairs and everything is fine.
    I have an engineer coming out next wednesday

4. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is working again for me!
    Here is how it works just in case anyone finds it useful.

Sky+ box:
    'Scart Control' option should be ON in Sky+ menu.

Toshiba TV:
    Set 'Auto Format' menu to ON.
    Set ratio to 4:3.

Now it switches automatically to wide and back to 4:3 when I change channel.

The reason it was not working was because the ratio was set to 'Wide' which disabled automatic format switching (though Auto Format was ON)