Automatic ratio switching with Sky+ and LG 32LB75

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by sorbiegunner, Feb 9, 2009.

1. sorbiegunner

sorbiegunner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I can't get my sky+ box to automatically switch ratios on my LG 32LB75.
    With the telly's own freeview tune I just have it set to 'original' and it switches automatically depending on the broadcast.
    With the Sky+ box connected by scart to AV1, picture format set to 16:9, and scart switching set to on and the telly ratio set to original everything is shown in 4:3. Widescreen broadcasts are shown squashed up to fit into 4:3, not cut off. 4:3 broadcasts show correctly.
    If I set the telly ratio to 16:9 then widescreen broadcasts display fine and 4:3 broadcasts are stetched to fill the screen.
    I cant find any combination of settings that will enable auto setting of the ratio. I know the telly can do this because it does it fine with freeview.
    So how do I get the Sky+ box to do it's bit?

Any help appreciated cos I'm stumped and hours of googling have proved fruitless, thanks.

2. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    It does it fine with Freeview - because Freeview isn't connected to it via scart. It is receiving Freeview on its own internal tuner.

You need to connect something else to it via the same scart socket and scart cable and see whether it switches correctly between 4:3 and 16:9 - i.e. a DVD player. Often the main movie is in widescreen, but the extras (making of, deleted scenes etc) are in 4:3. So, see whether that correctly switches between the two formats. If it does, the problem is with your Sky box. If it doesn't, the problem is with your TV.

Also make sure that the scart cable between Sky box and TV is coming out of the TV socket, not the VCR socket, on the Sky box. It may make a difference. You could also try connecting your Sky box to another TV using the same cable, just to make sure that the cable isn't damaged (i.e. is the pin which carries the widescreen switching signal missing?).

3. sorbiegunner

sorbiegunner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your input Broadz, I have a feeling the scart lead may be in the wrong socket (although you'd have thought that when building a telly that has all the hi-tec wizardry of today's machines, making all the scart sockets capable of detecting ratios wouldn't be difficult, perhaps that pin has a different job with different machines, what do I know).
    Anyway I think, from memory of wiring it at the time, it's in the 2nd socket but I don't have time to check at the moment as I have to go out.
    I'll let you know later if it's fixed, thanks again.