Automatic naming of recorded titles

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rpb, Sep 20, 2005.

1. rpb

rpb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My old panasonic VCR has an automatic "library" system which keeps a record by name of everything it ever recorded.

EG "Film - The Matrix - Date - tape number"

It gets this information from the teletext signal.

Does any modern DVD / HDD recorder do this, or do they all work with thumbnails only ?

2. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Panasonic DVD recorders automatically name off-air recordings using programme information that the broadcaster puts on teletext. It usually works and it saves you from having to add names manually. The programme name is truncated if it is very long.

You can see the names, together with the date and time each recording was made, and the channel name, when you go into the navigator screen (which shows all the recordings on the disc). You can choose between a thumbnail view or a list view of the disc contents. I always use the list view because it loads much more quickly and it shows more information.

There is no library of all recordings ever made though.

3. RAB67

RAB67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Which means that it doesn't work with Sky :( Unless I am missing something.

4. rpb

rpb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess you may be right.

Would the same apply to a freeview recording?

The brochure for the panasonic DMR EH60 makes no mention of this facility

5. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    You would think it doesn't, but I've read somewhere that the automatic naming works on some Sky channels. I haven't got Sky so I can't confirm this.

It depends whether you're referring to a separate STB or an integrated tuner. Programmes recorded on my E85 from my Humax 8000T are not automatically named. (Programmes recorded on the 8000T's own HDD are named from the EPG.)

A DVD recorder with an integrated Freeview tuner can use the EPG to schedule and name recordings.

6. rpb

rpb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about a Pioneer 630H?

This does not have an integrated freeview tuner but does use Guideplus?

I would have thought that a recording made via Guideplus could easily pick up the name of the program being recorded.

Could someone who actually has one of these give it a try?

7. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony recorders can do this using teletext. I use Sat TV and it works well with some channels.

ArtS ;)

8. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    My Sony RDR-HX510 does this via Smartlink - dead handy. I can also set it to record simply by setting a 'record event' in the freeview box EPG. No need to set a separate timer event on the DVD recorder, which please my better half no end!

9. rpb

rpb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sure the Sonys are the bees knees, but how about the Pioneer?

10. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the DMR-EH60D (which I have) the programme names etc. are picked up the same way as on the Panasonic VCRs, i.e. from teletext (I also have an NV-FJ710 with the tape library system - maybe it's the model you have) on analogue TV. For Freeview, the same types of detail are picked up from the Freeview EPG. It all works very smoothly. The Panasonic DVD recorders don't have the categorisation feature that the Tape Library VCRs had, incidentally (i.e. no sorting according to the TYPE of programme it was) though the list mode can be sorted by all its headings. As far as I know, the members of the range without a hard drive don't offer the list mode, just the 6-thumbnails screen which can't be sorted (at least this was true of my previous E55 DVD recorder from the previous range).

Another difference worth mentioning (just so you know) is that compared with their (older?) VCRs, the Panasonic DVD/HDD machines bring up their programming screens, including the Videoplus entry one, *instead* of the TV broadcast rather than on top of it - that is, they are not superimposed on the picture with sound carrying on normally, but replace the picture and mute the sound completely.

11. PeteTh

PeteTh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HelenS or anyone ?

Do the Panasonic's e.g. DMR-EH60D have a Disc Library (like Panasonic VCR Tape Library) i.e showing all the Discs you have archived to, or do you have to insert each Disc individually just to see what you archived on to it ?

I know the Pioneer 530/630 offer a Disc Library :thumbsup: , but the Sony 710/910 don't. :mad:

12. rpb

rpb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just ordered a pioneer 630h on the strength of a magazine article that seems to suggest that automatic naming does work. Given the "guideplus" function I would be dissapointed if it doesn't, but I will report further next week!

13. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, the EH60D doesn't do a "tape library" equivalent for DVDs, just the HDD. Mind you, once it has "met" a DVD, it does access it pretty quickly due to the data held in the quick start memory, it seems.

14. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips 720 does - max 1000 discs or 10,000 titles - with near 200 dvd's in there, i'd be stuffed without it now

15. Lt. Dang

Lt. Dang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I have the Pioneer 630 and I can confirm that it does do automatic naming from GuidePlus. It also names automatically when you just hit record on a terrestrial channel.

Regards,

Lt. Dang