Question Automatic Blu ray ripper

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by big boss, Dec 8, 2017.

1. big boss

big boss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +380
    I'm looking for a blu ray ripper that will automatically rip my blu rays (including 3D and Atmos) in lossless format (MKV) and store in my NAS drive. I have a QNAP NAS with 4 X 6TB HDDs. Also, what's the best media player to play these films, including 3D and Atmos?

I have a laptop and an external blu ray drive, but found the process of ripping individual discs via MakeMKV to be an absolute faff. All I want is to insert my blu ray disc in the ripper, and it should automatically rip and eject the disc, and store the contents in my NAS.

Innuos and JustHDMI have solutions. The former is way too expensive, and I can't find much information on the latter, or reviews. Any advice on these, or anything similar?

Also, is it possible to rip them simultaneously in MKV (for NAS) and MP4 (for phone and tablet) formats?

2. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,410
    I don't find MakeMKV to be too much of a 'faff', just change the destination folder to the NAS share and away you go. Okay so you have to press the eject button on the drive afterwards :rolleyes:

Zappiti have a QNAP based NAS with built-in BD drive and rip software. That's probably what you are looking for, but it's not cheap, and effectively replaces the hardware you already have.

In terms of media players, then depends on what features you want, and your budget. Many regard the Zappiti 4k HDR players highly, but I ditched that in favour of the cheaper Zidoo X8/X9S/X10, which handles 4K UHD and Atmos/DTS:X extremely well.

3. big boss

big boss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +380
    Thanks! Has anyone used this?

Media Server

The Zappiti Rip NAS looks very good, but as you say, it replaces the hardware I've already got. I don't see any point in that.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  4. big boss

big boss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +380
    Zidoo looks very good indeed! I don't heed HDD slot, so I guess X9S should suit my needs well?

5. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,410
    Yes, the X9S is great for use with a NAS.

6. big boss

big boss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +380
    I'm hoping to rip my 200+ blu ray collection and put the discs in the loft, then move on to 4K in 2018.